Ranger overdrive to sbc/LS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there so I have a build thread in the pig preservation society page About my FJ55 that I’m doing an LS swap on. I was at a crossroads at the point of attaching the transmission to the LS swap bellhousing when I stumbled upon a Ranger overdrive in another FJ55 which I purchased. My question is since I have the new advance adapters bell housing LS/LC trans, Should I go ahead and run the other trucks small block Chevy bellhousing? I just don’t know if the Ranger bolt pattern to the bell housing would be the same between the two adapter bellhousing’s? Does that make sense? I want to make sure to use the best bell housing that I can.Has anyone adapted a Ranger overdrive to it Advance adapters more modern LS bellhousing?

The ranger OD's that I've seen attached to or behind the transfer case. The transmission is the only thing that attached to the bellhousing.

I agree with above, OD usually are after the transmission. Some model info, specs, and/or photos would be helpful and interesting.

As for your question, the engine side of the bellhousing is the same, minus one bolt hole. So, if you want to be sure your Ranger bolts up, use the bellhousing it is currently attached to. Also, I don't think AA made an LS specific bellhousing, I just bought one last year to mate my NV4500 to a LM7 and it's just the standard Chevy small block bellhousing. It is the flywheel/clutch kit that is specific.

So yes some more wide known overdrive units mount in the rear The ranger however does not. It mounts in between the trans and bell. I will just need to remove the unit and measure the bolt pattern in both

Is the ranger unit for a stock LC 4 spd ? It should bolt to the A/A bellhouse if you got the A/A bellhouse to mate to a LC 4sp.
Yes your pilot set up is corrrect but I always double check by measuring the input then put bellhouse on and measure with pilot installed to verify proper engagement and that it isnt stuffed in to tight. I saw a ranger years ago like you describe, should bolt in but I dont remember what the input was like and if it matched the 4spd snout.

So yes some more wide known overdrive units mount in the rear The ranger however does not. It mounts in between the trans and bell. I will just need to remove the unit and measure the bolt pattern in both
Just read the link Byron shared. Looks like a cool setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom