Ranger O/D vs H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the differences or experiences (other than the extra lever and around $500.00 more for the tranny) between the ranger overdrive and the Toyota 5-speed? It will more than likely be mated to a V8 (or 2F, still undecided). I read here last week that the OD on the H55 is somewhat weak? any input is appreciated... :beer:

Thanks, :beer:
Luis

i have the torque splitter and have been mostly happy with it. it is nice to cruise at highway speeds, and it ups my mpg significantly. i also liked that i didnt' have to move anything when i did the v8 swap. that is nice. cons are that it is noisy-it hums, and i have had it slip out of gear under heavy load like going down a steep hill while wheeling. other than that i'd do it again.

Range costs more, is not TOYOTA, requires more work to install, and provides an extra, cool looking lever. The 2F is not comfortable with too much OD, IMO.

M

I would not recomend the ranger if you keep your 2F just based on install. Why move your trans/tcase back if you don't need to. H55F trans would be almost bolt in. now if you go V8 the ranger is probably an easier install because it makes up for the SBC being shorter in length than the 2F. Keeps the distributor out of the firewall. plus mike is right you get that cool extra shifter. My .02

if you decide on the ranger pm me with any questions. I finished my swap in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom