Randomly died twice - need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
our 1988 FJ62 has randomly died twice in the last couple of weeks. Both times while driving and warmed up. No warning, just shut down. Engine will then turn over but not start.
The first time I dragged it back to the house and the next day it started right up like nothing happened. Ran fine for a few short trips close to the house. Several days later it happened again, and my son waited about 15-20 minutes and it started and ran fine again.
We drove a couple of ~20 mile trips this weekend in the Texas heat and it seemed fine. Highway and some neighborhood streets. No hint of any issue.

This is frustrating because it is intermittent and therefore hard to diagnose, and I don't like to be wondering when it is going to happen again.

Recent work includes -
New fuel pump that was replaced twice because the short section of hose at the output split (this work was done at a local reputable shop)
New starter
Replaced the fusible links because they had broken strands and looked terrible.

This vehicle is basically stock, not de-smogged or anything like that. It has been starting easily and running great except for these two recent incidents.

Thoughts on where to start looking? distributer, igniter? relay? fuel pump?
Also, if it happens again, what should i be ready to check when it won't start?

TIA

Seeing that your problem doesn't happen to the carbureted 2F engine on the FJ60, my suspicion (wild guess) is that it's EFI related: AKA computer malfunction.

If you can get it to die again and not start then be sure to check to see if you have spark and if you have fuel. That should help you considerably in determining where to look.

You might install an inline fuel pressure gage that you can just take a look at while someone cranks...the next time it stalls.

But it sounds like something is getting hot and faulting out. I've seen other cars where the fuel pump relay had an internal problem or had a bad ground that would cause heat buildup and then relay failure and hence no fuel. Guessing you have a fuel component or ignition component thats getting hot and failing...either due to it starting to go bad or due to a wiring/grounding issue.

something simple like this could work great:

1628603822533.png

Thinking some more on this....the components I've seen fail due to internal issues and overheating include: Fuel pump relays, igntion modules, coils, old battery cables, some fuel pumps (but most intank pumps get plenty of cooling from the fuel that they rarely are the issue).

I just posted a link to a banjo bolt you can use on the cold start injector. I’ll see if I can find the post snd paste it here. But basically you pull the banjo bolt out of the cold start, put the adapter bolt in which allows the cold start to work while adding a threaded port for the fuel pressure connection.

From this thread: 3FE Fuel Pressure Guage? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-fuel-pressure-guage.274161/

This is the adapter banjo bolt. I’d double check the size:

I use a gauge from LC engineering on my 3FE. Super easy to install at the cold start injector like @Seth S noted. Definitely a handy tool 3FE owners should have. :)

I found that I could get a gauge and a M8-1.0 adapter from this set -

OEMTOOLS 27167​

The parts are 27167M and 27167A shipped for $43. the whole set can be had for $70 plus shipping but I don't need a multimeter or some of the other adapters.

Hope it fits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom