random misfire after head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I've searched but didn't find anything conclusive. No check engine light. It fired up pretty quick after the head gasket was replaced and ran smoothly for about 30 seconds before a random misfire started. It will go from smooth for about 5 or 6 seconds then a miss, then smooth again and another. It's not consistent like a dead cylinder. It seems to be a little worse at idle which it has a tough time doing. It idles low anyway after the battery has been disconnected for some time until it has a chance to relearn so that doesn't surprise me too much. If it dies, it will crank up and run smooth again for about 5 or 10 seconds then start with misfire again. My guess is bad cap/rotor or a vacuum leak somewhere under the intake. Thoughts?

Ok I've searched but didn't find anything conclusive. No check engine light. It fired up pretty quick after the head gasket was replaced and ran smoothly for about 30 seconds before a random misfire started. It will go from smooth for about 5 or 6 seconds then a miss, then smooth again and another. It's not consistent like a dead cylinder. It seems to be a little worse at idle which it has a tough time doing. It idles low anyway after the battery has been disconnected for some time until it has a chance to relearn so that doesn't surprise me too much. If it dies, it will crank up and run smooth again for about 5 or 10 seconds then start with misfire again. My guess is bad cap/rotor or a vacuum leak somewhere under the intake. Thoughts?
I would look at injector plugs and spark plug wiring first.

Did you set timing per FSM?

Did you set timing per FSM?
Winner winner chicken dinner. I thought it was pretty close based on the positioning marks I made prior to removing the distributor but, was slightly off. Running smoothly now.

Overall quite a bit of labor but not as terrible as I expected. Found and replaced a few more hoses that were old. My injectors came back from cleaning and the most improvement any one of them got was about 8% increase. Not bad for 316k miles I suppose.

Could be a couple of things. The harness near the EGR has finally started to short out and could be causing your issues or your injectors could be dirty too. I am in the process of chasing down the same gremlins and am swapping out the harness and getting the injectors cleaned while I am at it.

After you got the head cleaned and installed the poor injector performance could be more noticeable now than before.

Also, I would recommend replacing the vacuum hoses under the upper intake as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom