Random lose of engine power at +70mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any update, is it still fixed? Mine just started doing this with 360k mi on it, most of the items you had previously replaced were just done on mine recently as well. I'm curious if the throttle body fixed it.
Since I got my son home, I am not racking the miles up on it like I was. With that being said since I changed the throttle body, I haven't had a problem. So I am thinking that it fixed it.

I didn't see if it was mentioned in the rest of the post, but did you see any noticeable change in RPM when you experienced the power loss?

I'm sort of taking the same approach and method of thinking as you were, it's an old vehicle, most of the electronic parts are ( probably) nearing end of life anyways, so I don't mind replacing some stuff. Just trying to figure out which parts to start lobbing at it.

It was random but, most of the time it might be +30 minutes into my trips at Interstate speeds. The best way that I could describe it is it felt like you accidently hit the cruise control button and you would lose some engine power. Then you would have to press on the gas pedal more to regain the power you lost.

The engine never shutoff or anything like that. But, I rather change out stuff before that happens because I can't stand being stranded.

Reactions: AJR
I just noticed this post while randomly searching for muffler info, so I joined to comment. Anyway. I have a 2000 Lexus LX470 237,000ish miles. Last spring had the same thing happen: 75mph, cruise control, air on, passing a truck on the highway about 2-1/2 hours into a 4-hour drive home. Instantaneous loss of power, then I hit the gas and just kept driving. No lights or anything. I would have doubted it even happened except my teenage son in the back seat was like 'what just happened?' Two weeks later when I went out to start it (it's my daily driver) it didn't start on the first turn and then on the second all my dashboard warning lights came on and stayed on but it ran fine. My mechanic ran the codes and came up with a Mass Air Sensor malfunction which he thought was really odd. I did a weekend trip, five hours there and back with no problems. A week later, I went to start it and my key just spun. I had to have it towed (to the dealer) and ended up having the steering column ignition bracket and assembly replaced ($800 ouch - but only slightly more than a new car payment right?). My mechanic thinks that the ignition mechanism was loose/failing and may have been the culprit in both cases. It's been fine all summer although no big trips. I drove to IF yesterday (1-1/2 hours each way) with no problem. Hopefully, that was the last of that issue (fingers crossed!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom