random intermittent oil light? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone

Over the past few days, I've noticed that the yellow oil light comes on for a few seconds or maybe a minute, and then goes off. It's completely random, doesn't happen at a specific time or while I'm going around a turn or straightaway or anything, and I have no idea why it's happening.

I recently had the valve cover gasket replaced and I'm sure they did an oil change with it. Could it be that they didn't put enough oil in, and that the low oil level sensor is going off intermittently?

Thanks for the help!:beer:

DanJz

Just check the oil level. Its a light that comes on when the oil level is low. Usually about a quart low.

After I bought my Cruiser I drove it a few days before the oil light came on. It was definitely low, I'd say a good 2-3 quarts. Came to find out it was the rear main seal leaking oil (not uncommon). The 2nd time I saw the oil light was after I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Mobil 1 oil burnt much faster than conventional dino oil in my Cruiser so I switched back to dino.

After I bought my Cruiser I drove it a few days before the oil light came on. It was definitely low, I'd say a good 2-3 quarts. Came to find out it was the rear main seal leaking oil (not uncommon). The 2nd time I saw the oil light was after I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Mobil 1 oil burnt much faster than conventional dino oil in my Cruiser so I switched back to dino.

Burned faster or leaked faster? I know Mobil 1 found all my bad gaskets in my Civic. Pain in the @ss but it's a good thing.

I would say burned/consumed faster since the rear main seal was replaced before I tried Mobil 1. At the time I didn't have to add any oil between changes (5k). When I changed to M1, I had driven maybe 2k miles and the oil light came on. Switched back to dino and didn't have to add oil between changes. Later on the Cruiser developed another oil leak around the valve cover gasket and oil cap so I was adding 1-2 qts of oil between changes.

Hi everyone

Over the past few days, I've noticed that the yellow oil light comes on for a few seconds or maybe a minute, and then goes off. It's completely random, doesn't happen at a specific time or while I'm going around a turn or straightaway or anything, and I have no idea why it's happening.

I recently had the valve cover gasket replaced and I'm sure they did an oil change with it. Could it be that they didn't put enough oil in, and that the low oil level sensor is going off intermittently?

DanJz

Dan - I had the same thing happen to me last year on my 91. Turns out in my case it was the first indicator that my alternator was about to go out. Watch your voltage and see if it is fluctuating as well. If the light is on and the voltage out of whack it may be the alternator. You may want to test it and see be for it leaves you stranded in the cold... Hope that helps you out.

Rick

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll check the oil level today, but I'll definitely keep an eye on the voltage as well. Hopefully it's just a little low, it's much easier and cheaper to add a little oil than it is the buy and replace an alternator lol

This is pretty common, but most people notice that it happens at a specific time. Those a bit low on oil will notice the light usually on a slight incline and most often when the engine is still warming up. Usually the light will come on for a few seconds and then go off.

This is pretty common, but most people notice that it happens at a specific time. Those a bit low on oil will notice the light usually on a slight incline and most often when the engine is still warming up. Usually the light will come on for a few seconds and then go off.

x2. Mine's intermittent when it's slightly low and becomes constant when the level has dropped a bit more. Always check it with the dipstick. The idiot light is a good reminder, but I wouldn't rely on a 13+ year sensor.

Well, This has just happen to me after a nice trip to Santa Cruz. When I first start to climb the hill on hwy17 the light came on and as i went down the hill it still stayed on. Once i had the car at level the light turned off, lucky i always keep a spare Oil Liter of 10W40 in my spare bag. I got home and started to check out my SUV and noticed oil everywhere on my axle and steering shock. I cleaned everything up and left the car running to find where the leak is coming from and bam! Found it! It was the O-ring for the Oil pump body cover, to think this went out at 165K. I had my 96 FJZ80 since 2004 at 25k.

What is the best oil to use on a 95 Land Cruiser? Is one brand better than another???

This is absolutely a "Search" type of question. Bet there is a weeks worth of reading on this subject with probably no less than a hand full of answers.

Hey guys just recently my oil light started turning on but it only does it when I roll my drivers window up. I can click the window switch up and the oil light turns on.

I did just replace my alternator abour 3 months ago.

What's the oil level on the dipstick?

Oil level is full.

Additionally since I bought the truck 1.5 year ago the oil pressure gauge would always read lower then normal.

I was informed by the mechanic that this is a common issue on these trucks. I do have a new sending unit I just have not installed it.

Hi everyone

DanJz
Hi,
I joined ih8mud specifically to reply to this thread. I had the intermittent yellow oil light. Drove me crazy trying to work out what was going on and I was worried my engine was losing oil pressure. So here's what I found out. The yellow light is indeed an oil level warning not a low oil pressure waring. As I understand it from others the same symbol will glow red if low oil pressure is detected and the red light is drive by the oil pressure sensor reading low. Pity I wasted a weekend chasing the wrong sensor and traumatizing myself trying to install it. After I put the new oil pressure sensor in I still had the intermittent yellow oil can light. Turns out it's the oil level sensor in the sump. I pulled mine out while the engine was still hot and (without draining the sump first, lucky I had a oil pan under it). Suggestion wait until you do an oil change and have drained the sump first. Here's a link to a site you can purchase the sump oil level sensor from Genuine Toyota LandCruiser HDJ100 1HDFTE Engine Oil Level Sump Sensor - https://goodstate.com.au/parts/2285313396994756ead0e10faaed421a . I pulled mine out and noticed the little bakerlite float had a crack in it and the plastic sleeve on the pin it travels on had a distinct notched collar towards the top of the pin. Was holding it in my hand as I phoned Motorama to get a price and managed to drop it and that was before they told me it would be $550 and none in the country. Tracked the one down at Goodstate and blasted down to Arundel to pick it up. Be careful when you reinstall the four bolts that hold it in. You might want to look up the correct torque speck because I felt like I may have taken one of them too far. If it plays up I'll wack some three bond on the thread and see how it goes. Once installed the intermittent yellow oil can light stopped. As a point of interest my old oil pressure sensor would fluctuate between the second lowest mark and the second highest mark on the gauge depending on rpm. The new one gradually builds once you start the engine and sits steady at the second highest mark on the gauge. If you are having trouble finding the correct oil pressure sensor at a reasonable price you could try here Part Shop - Landcruiser HDJ100 8/00-8/07 - ToJo 4wd Centre - https://www.tojo4wdcentre.com.au/part-shop/browse/114/parts-suitable-for-landcruiser/landcruiser-hdj100-8-00-8-07/page/10/ . A friend showed me this sight too PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World - https://partsouq.com/ in case you haven't seen it before. Hope this helps because it was driving me bonkers.

Welcome to Mud.

The two sensors/gauges are not connected; oil pressure gauge in the instrument cluster and oil level orange/yellow "idiot" light. There are no red oil pressure warning lights on the US spec FZJ80. Maybe your model is different??

Also normal for the orange/yellow low oil level light to come on intermittantly
as the oil level gets close to one quart low, then it will come on more frequently as the oil level continues to drop and finally stay solid when
you reach around 1-1/2 quarts low.

IME the oil level sensor float (?bakelite) can crack apart with age which may
give odd results depending on how much of the float has broken off.

Here's another source:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom