1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random hesitation at high speeds

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by iptman, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jakes40

Jakes40 IH8MUD Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Depending on were you got the points they may be the wrong ones. I whent throw NAPA and got 3 sets that were wrong. Sanded the old ones down to get it running again, Then went with an electric ignition.

2. emorth

emorth

I have a dwell meter Patrick can use. I was never able to master “the touch”. Curious to see what his current dwell angle is. Anyone know, off the top of your head, what the spec is?

3. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

38 degrees comes to mind but you need to check the manual.

emorth likes this.
  4. iptman

iptman

I couldn't find a dwell spec in the FSM, only .018 for the gap. Searches in the 40 section seem be floating in the 39-44 degrees.

5. iptman

iptman

On Thursday Ed and I pulled the cap to check the points and they were way below spec. We adjusted the points back to .018, fired it up and dwell was in the 36-39 range. Today I was able to get it up to speed on 66 and I couldn't reproduce the hesitation. :bounce:

Crusha, John Smith, TLEX and 6 others like this.
  6. shmukster

shmukster

Boy all the talk about points and dwell took me way back when ALL the engines had points. When I worked in the Chrysler Plymouth garage in the early seventies (made a big $2.50 an hour) we had a Sun distributor machine that we used for installing and gapping points. Pulling the dissy on the Chrysler V8's wasn't a problem as instead of a drive gear they had a tang at the bottom of their drive shaft. Could only put the dissy back in two ways- correctly or 180 degrees out. Plop the dissy in the Sun machine fire it up and adjust the point gap to dwell specs and tighten down the screws. Almost as easy as doing the GM's with the built in point adjustment- all that required was an allen wrench.

7. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">