Random hesitation at high speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Depending on were you got the points they may be the wrong ones. I whent throw NAPA and got 3 sets that were wrong. Sanded the old ones down to get it running again, Then went with an electric ignition.

38 degrees comes to mind but you need to check the manual.

I couldn't find a dwell spec in the FSM, only .018 for the gap. Searches in the 40 section seem be floating in the 39-44 degrees.

On Thursday Ed and I pulled the cap to check the points and they were way below spec. We adjusted the points back to .018, fired it up and dwell was in the 36-39 range. Today I was able to get it up to speed on 66 and I couldn't reproduce the hesitation. :bounce:

Boy all the talk about points and dwell took me way back when ALL the engines had points. When I worked in the Chrysler Plymouth garage in the early seventies (made a big $2.50 an hour) we had a Sun distributor machine that we used for installing and gapping points. Pulling the dissy on the Chrysler V8's wasn't a problem as instead of a drive gear they had a tang at the bottom of their drive shaft. Could only put the dissy back in two ways- correctly or 180 degrees out. Plop the dissy in the Sun machine fire it up and adjust the point gap to dwell specs and tighten down the screws. Almost as easy as doing the GM's with the built in point adjustment- all that required was an allen wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom