Random front wiper issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

micruz60

Unleaded Regular
Threads
Hello all, I've got an intermittent problem with my wiper switch: when the wand is at mist or interval setting, sometimes it will go into the 'regular' speed, and will not shutoff, I've noticed this happens when turning the wheel, and sometimes after moving wand to fast setting and then back to interval, it will stop. Is this a simple fix? I've read about retrofitting a later model wiper wand with the dial setting to adjust the interval... but would like to keep the stock setup. It's on the '87 FJ60.
Thanks, Mike

My '82 does this once in a while, too, along with occasionally refusing to start the wipers on interval mode. I'm thinking the problem is actually in the wiper relay box up under the dash. There's a wheel that spins in there, and I bet the mechanism needs to be cleaned. High-tech stuff. :)

its in your steering column....do a search.

by the way...does it only do it when it rains:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hello all, I've got an intermittent problem with my wiper switch: when the wand is at mist or interval setting, sometimes it will go into the 'regular' speed, and will not shutoff, I've noticed this happens when turning the wheel, and sometimes after moving wand to fast setting and then back to interval, it will stop. Is this a simple fix? I've read about retrofitting a later model wiper wand with the dial setting to adjust the interval... but would like to keep the stock setup. It's on the '87 FJ60.
Thanks, Mike
I know this is old, but did you ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem.

Hey @Borrego, I opened up the clamshell at the steering column, and used compressed air to clear the dust and grime.
I also looked for the relay that @polarweasel mentioned, but on the '87 it is not serviceable.
It still does the intermittent flop from time to time, and I can't replicate it other times. :hmm:

I replaced the entire switch assembly and no more problems with a random intermittent, or not turning off.

Here's the thread. Read through it though. I posted about 1/2 way into it where I found a switch assembly with a long enough harness.

Turn Signal Fix using parts from a 1983 Toyota Pickup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom