Random and maybe stupid question??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, just joined up, happy to be abord.

So I have a random and maybe stupid question, but I need answers because there may be saftey involved.

I am a 1983 FJ60 owner my second one at that and I love that monster (my dream car). Does anyone know if it is safe to tow a 24-25 ft Airstream trailer with my truck? we are looking to get one because we are giong on a mustard tour and they are bitchin trailers. Does anyone know someone who does this? It is proving difficult to figure this one out. I know that my truck is bad a** but can it handle that? Any and all input would be awesome as we will be traveling far and wide across most the states for about 6 months to a year.

Thanks Mucho

-o-

Do you have your owner's manual? It should list the tow rating. TLC lists it as 3,500 pounds.

FJ60 Specs

I have no idea what those trailers weigh.

You'll want to be certain that your brakes are in good working order.

Ask the same question here:

60-Series Wagons - IH8MUD.com Forum

Probably get a better response.

TJK

Thanks Todd, I will try that. My book says 2500lbs but I am not sure how that all works so I was looking for someone who is towing a rig, maybe I will find some answers in the area you suggested.

Cheers,
Orite

Random and maybe stupid question??

So I have a random and maybe stupid question, but I need answers because there may be saftey involved.

I am a 1983 FJ60 owner my second one at that and I love that monster (my dream car). Does anyone know if it is safe to tow a 24-25 ft Airstream trailer with my truck? we are looking to get one because we are giong on a mustard tour and they are bit**in trailers.

Does anyone know someone who does this? It is proving difficult to figure this one out. I know that my truck is bad a** but can it handle that? Any and all input would be awesome as we will be traveling far and wide across most the states for about 6 months to a year.

Thanks Mucho

-o-

Welcome and what in the world is a mustard tour?

Your rig would tow the trailer but I am sure not very fast and efficiently at all, especially on hills. If the trailer does not have it's own brakes I would be concerned.

60's are not good tow vehicles...

Small distances it would probably be okay, but long distances I would not even consider it..

4 years ago, I towed an old, very heavy, 18 foot trailer from Washington to California with my 62. It managed the load, although steep hills were a real pain. Looking back, I wouldn’t do it again.

I would get a diesel powered Cummins truck if I was going to tow anything for long distances. It would be more safe and get better mileage.

I am a 1983 FJ60 owner my second one at that and I love that monster (my dream car). Does anyone know if it is safe to tow a 24-25 ft Airstream trailer with my truck? we are looking to get one because we are giong on a mustard tour and they are bit**in trailers.

Does anyone know someone who does this? It is proving difficult to figure this one out. I know that my truck is bad a** but can it handle that? Any and all input would be awesome as we will be traveling far and wide across most the states for about 6 months to a year.

Thanks Mucho

-o-

Don't do it. I have two had tow behind trailers an 18 and a 26 foot and currently pull a 35 foot fifth wheel, the cruiser is not designed for what you want to do everything i have towed with is a 3/4 ton truck or a 1 ton one was a gaser, got rid of after the first mountain trip and the last two have been diesel. while an airstream is a great trailer and tows more easily and efficiently than a typical box camper, it is way to much for the 60's little motor, even with a v8 swap it is not designed for your intended purpose and with gas prices the way they are for towing diesel is the only way to go. Many an accident occur because people fail to apply the significance to the proper tow vehicle set up when towing especially a long tern high mileage trip like what you want to do. like you said safety is key, esp when towing get the proper rig to tow with and keep your 60 for the fun stuff.

my.02

You may tow it for a while but you will break something. Not what it was designed for.

I too have been pondering the exact same question. I just love Airstreams and am looking at the 25ft
models. I found a lot of information at Airstream forums.com. The site is very similar to mud, nice,
friendly enthusiests willing to help. From what I found in the towing thread, there is no way my 60
could handle it. My 2001 4runner LTD won't either. I'm going to have to sell the 4Runner and get a 100
series or maybe a Sequoia. I'm in no hurry. Maybe a future diesel from toyota would handle it. I just
don't need another pickup truck. Lots of nice used trailers for sale at this site. welcome to mud!

there is no way i would tow a 25ft airstream across the country with my 60. it has a hard enough time towing the family and gear. but i love it.

I wouldn't want to try much more than that with the 2F. Now, if you were to do the V8 upgrade, I could see trying to tow a bit more.

You will for sure want electric brake controller and brakes on the trailer.

I have restored one airstream. It was a 19ft Globetrotter. The trailer you are talking about is a Safari if I remember correctly. The airstreams have a following same as us cruiserheads. It has been my experience that I will agree with everyone above. There is no way I would pull any Airstream including the Bambi with a 60 series cruiser. I wish it could be different, but they are not made for it. Find another period vehicle if that is goal, but do not do this to yourself or your cruiser.

I have towed some heavy, heavy stuff with my 60, but I have a V8, 4.56 gears, a five speed and a set of OME heavy springs all the way around. Lacking any of those things I wouldn't do it. Even then you still run the risk, especially with what you are proposing, of having the tail wag the dog. That often ends badly.

My primary reason for saying hell no would be the brakes first, followed by the above posted reasons.

I have towed some heavy, heavy stuff with my 60, but I have a V8, 4.56 gears, a five speed and a set of OME heavy springs all the way around. Lacking any of those things I wouldn't do it. Even then you still run the risk, especially with what you are proposing, of having the tail wag the dog. That often ends badly.

With the 60 the motor is not the issue really.

It is braking power. A 60 just is not up to the task..

Wow, you all had ma holding my breath and picturing the down hill push of a 25 ft trailer and my truck. The trailer does have a good breaking system, but if my 60 is gonna just be hating life I would never want to do that to it. I love it too much!

We did tow my Husbands Jeep Cherokee full and heavy with the 60 full and roof rack packed down heavy across the entire country on our last move and that was a piece of cake. Hills were slow, but that is to be expected.

seems like all signs point to NO!

Hmm I just love those airstreams Got my dream car, that is my other dream.

Are there any Toyota trucks that could do the job?

By the way, did I say thank you, Really I mean it cause it means a lot to have all of you looking out for us. Heartfelt!

I knew that someone would know the answer to my questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom