Rancho 5000 shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had them on a Jeep, they are not that great.

Ok...any worse than OME's ? Seems most don't like OME'S, say they ride terrible. You see them in the classified section from time to time. If they both suck I might as well go with the ones that suck for half the price.

Ok...any worse than OME's ? Seems most don't like OME'S, say they ride terrible. You see them in the classified section from time to time. If they both suck I might as well go with the ones that suck for half the price.
I have the Iron Man Nitro gas shocks (not the foam cell pros) and like them a lot. They cost more than the Ranchos but I don't think they are any more or less then the OMEs. Maybe give them a shot.

Last edited:
Thanks for input, I see Summits and Jegs have the Rancho's for about $210 shipped and come with lifetime warranty. If I buy before the end of June they also come with $50 rebate. I am going to have to make a decision quickly.

Buy OEM shocks is money is tight. Rs5000 are very stiff and did not last long when I ran them, once on a YJ wrangler, the other on a F150 Supercrew.

edit: to be clear, the ride is crap. I ran the RS900XL on my 2500HD and liked them, but never could settle on a setting.

Last edited:
Haven't noticed anyone really saying the ride is terrible, so I don't know where you're getting that "most" don't like them. There's hundreds of trucks on here running them. I guess you get the one or two vocal people that expected their lifted truck with off-road shocks and E rated tires to keeps it's plush ride, then that's "most". It's different than stock shocks for sure, but I think it's perfectly fine.

OME is generalized as being too stiff for our 100s unless extremely loaded down. The ranchos are crap. Go with iron man foam cells or tough dog foam cells and you will not be disappointed.

I thought I would hijack the thread but wondering about the Tough Dog 40mm Adjustable shocks. Is any one running these? I just picked up an 2006 LC non/AHC and it has the original shocks. I cranked up the torsion bars to level out the ride and it has 285/70R18 BFG KO2 tires. I don't plan to lift it for a couple of years as the wifey is going to us it a DD but we'll take it on the longer camping trips that we don't take the FJ62. ANy input on cost, performance, etc. would be great.

I thought I would hijack the thread but wondering about the Tough Dog 40mm Adjustable shocks. Is any one running these? I just picked up an 2006 LC non/AHC and it has the original shocks. I cranked up the torsion bars to level out the ride and it has 285/70R18 BFG KO2 tires. I don't plan to lift it for a couple of years as the wifey is going to us it a DD but we'll take it on the longer camping trips that we don't take the FJ62. ANy input on cost, performance, etc. would be great.

I don't recommend the 40mm adjustables for the rear. The 41mm standard foam cells are a better shock for the same money.

J

Don't buy the Rancho, you will just regret it. just save up a little more. I didn't mind the OLD man EMU nitro shocks ride. ITs just that the stock ride quality is like Cadillac, nothing else is as good. I even upgraded to Icon stage 3's, and its pretty good, but idk if its as smooth as stock. idk, seems like everyone really likes those though dog foam cells though.

The Rancho's I tried on a Jeep Grand Cherokee 10 years ago were ruff as a cob. Knocked you right out of your seat. Too stiff. Could have changed since then.

There is a reason they're cheap with a rebate, I had them on my old suburban, won't last and ride like crap.

Last edited:
My stock shocks are to soft and vehicle leans to much in turns. I do not mind a firmer ride. Rancho makes many different makes of shocks just like the other companies. I am not sold on "they suck". Ford uses them as OEM upgrade, can't be total crap.
I asked the original question because I have seen quite a few OME shocks as take offs on here and on Craig's list. Just makes me wonder why if they are so great; why remove them then? Again the Rancho's are less then half the price. Rancho has been around a long time, if they were crap they would of folded by now. They also offer lifetime warranty. Thoughtful responses appreciated, not just they are crap.

I think there is only one way to find out if it is a good fit FOR YOU or not. #DOIT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom