Ran into this cool HJ78 this morning in Tijeras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Got word from @emoto that there is a 70 series having coffee at Roots Farm Cafe in Tijeras. It just so happens that I was dropping Isabelle off at school so it was only two min away. I met Winfried in the coffee shop and we chatted for a bit. He is from Germany and taking a year off to tour around. His 1HZ engine is not turboe'd and he felt at high elevations.

He needed an oil filter and the folks at Karl Malone didn't work with him at all and he was unhappy at the treatment. I hooked him up with @barrys, who just happens to have a case of this filter at the shop in Tijeras. Barry can chime in later with more pics and details.

@pappy would appreciate this: Winfried is an avid road biker so he rides up the mountains in France, same one as the ones in Tour de France. He claims that the mountains in France is much easier than the ones in Italy!

As usual, it's a cool expo rig with a poptop and a Webasto heater. Gentleman is traveling alone and is not really connected to the usual expo stuff online.

20180307_074442.jpg

20180307_074454.jpg

20180307_074504.jpg

Last edited:
After Ali notified me, I got there just as he was ready to leave - without a solution to his oil filter problem. I called my son (Dan), put him on speaker phone, so Winfried could share the conversation. Dan rattled off the part number for the oil filter from memory, and said he had a bunch at our shop that he bought from Onur for his current HDJ 60 rebuild project. So Winfried followed me to the shop, and now has a nice new filter that should get him to Alaska and back.

Winfried really like my '62 Dodge Power Wagon. He'd seen pictures of them, but never seen one in person. He took several pictures of it, as I was taking pictures of his rig at the shop.

VyqbLENuQoyYpSNwhfscIA.jpg

bmPd1Mv3SmGQPeINWCIB8Q.jpg

Nice of you guys to introduce yourselves and especially to help him get the oil filter he needed - that's true Cruiser spirit!

It is a little disappointing that he felt he wasn't treated well at the dealer. He may have just happened upon someone behind the parts counter without much imagination or much willingness to help. We have all been spoiled over the years by Onur and Cruiser Dan!

He's got a cool Cruiser!

Got word from @emotoHe needed an oil filter and the folks at Karl Malone didn't work with him at all and he was unhappy at the treatment.

I hate to say that was my impression of their parts counter as well. Service was great, parts ... meh.

So Winfried followed me to the shop, and now has a nice new filter that should get him to Alaska and back.

Nice job Berry and Dan! Chalk up a few Cruiser Karma points.

Winfried really like my '62 Dodge Power Wagon.

Who doesn't dig that Power Wagon?

What a great bunch of people....

Our shop in the East Mountains can also be referred to as the Southwest warehouse for Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting, with all the parts Onur has provided for Dan's 60 conversion to an HZ diesel. The Cruiser Karma thing is real!

that's a cool rig! we saw one in Canyonlands one year too. a German doctor and his wife. a few years ago I passed one on I40 with a FJ40/45 style front.

You never know when you may run into Winfried, or other Land Cruiser brethren around. I'm a believer in Karma for sure. Nice job Barry and Ali!

Very cool, meet some guys in Alaska back in 2014 doing the same thing, one truck was a Toyota pickup type camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom