Ran Coax to antenna just above tail-light. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've never liked the look of Coax cable coming from between the tailgate and body over to an antenna (when the antenna is mounted high at the rear). Besides the looks of it...some installations put the Coax in a bad position to become pinched or chaffed.

Some installations are better than others...but I've also seen some really contorted Coax.

Anyway...I have the 'yodaTEQ' mount which situates the antenna base just above the rear tail-light.

With this arrangement...it looked simple enough to run the Coax from inside the Vehicle's Jack/Tool compartment, through the tail-light bucket and then notch the very top of the tail-light bezel to give the Coax a straight shot to the antenna mount.

So what I did...is as follows (I'm sure there are other ways):

• Mark the spot on the tail-light bezel for the cable to pass through. It needs be high enough to miss the sealed portion of the tail-light fixture.
  • Coax1_zpstlofvprw.jpg

• Remove the tail-light and fashion a small slot in the bezel (about 5/16” should be plenty).
  • Coax3_zpssysw1o17.jpg

• Hold the tail-light up in place and mark the tail-light bucket using the slot you cut in the tail-light bezel.
  • Coax3a_zps5ejkxba5.jpg

• Remove the tail-light bucket and check to be sure there are no wires, connectors or other items in the way for the hole you are about to drill.
  • Coax2_zps99hqc79m.jpg

• Reinstall T/L bucket and drill a 5/16” hole through the bucket and the panel lip behind it.
  • Coax2_zps99hqc79m.jpg
    Coax4_zpsfchbzue8.jpg

Continued next post:

Last edited:
Next...remove T/L bucket and make 'slots' out of the holes you have drilled. This way you can remove the items (tail-light, bucket) individually. I found that a pair of diagonal cutters easily removed the material from the bucket as well as the panel lip (the metal is thin there). Dress the edges with a file.

Coax5_zpsugyhooaj.jpg

Coax6_zpsmoygsgnx.jpg

Reinstall tail-light bucket and check Coax for fitment. Then seal over the top portion of the T/L bucket and the slot with silicone to prevent water/dust/dirt from entering.

Coax7_zps9bhs8bda.jpg

Replace tail-light. You can put a dab of black silicone around the slot if you like (I did not), as I don't see it being necessary and I did not want to have to peel the Coax away from the light fixture if I ever need to replace a bulb.

Coax12_zpssw3uevyk.jpg

The slot in the T/L bezel does not affect the strength of it and frankly is barely noticeable. It makes for a very clean installation of Coax if you are willing to go to the small trouble of doing so.

Coax9_zpsejhqkjlv.jpg

Last edited:
Lastly...IF you need/prefer to run a ground wire from your antenna mount (if like mine), then you can conceal it fairly well also. I attached mine to a spot where the mount replaces the tailgate latch. Then ran the wire straight down to the frame. It barely shows at all when the lift-gate is raised and doesn't get in the way or interfere with the closing of the tailgate.

Coax10_zpsjharqrmo.jpg

Coax11_zpsl1y36xnf.jpg

Last edited:
How do you prevent cable chaffing at your penetrations?

I put a few wraps of electrical tape around the Coax where it passes through the Tail-light bucket and panel lip. But the silicone sealant I put around the slot in the T/L bucket holds the cable firmly in place. You could also make the slot in the bucket a bit larger if you wanted and install a small rubber grommet but I am confident the silicone will hold it nicely and prevent any rubbing/chaffing.

Also...I want to give a 'shout out' and recommendation for the yodaTEQ antenna mount. It is very stout and secure. Quality product for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom