Ramsey Winches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone use one? What model? A guy came up to my cruiser at the feed store and said he had one on his cruiser and took it off before selling it. I don't know what model it is or what he wants for it, but thought I'd do some homework before calling him or going to look at it. He did say he thought it was rated at 10K.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:
I have a Ramsey pro plus 8000 on my 40 and have had no issues with it at all. Seems to work every time.

Jody.

Ed-

WARN 8274-50.

The only thing you need to know about winches. ;)

Well, yeah, I know that is the most desirable, but I might be able to have "a winch" for now while I work on that.
I'll let you know what this is and how much $ before I buy anything. I do respect your opinion.

Ed

I have one, unmounted, and I've taken it apart and put it back together. They're good strong winches - better made mechanically than Koenigs (I've got a Koenig too). Rated at 8000 lbs for most of the small vehicle winches. Ramsey made kits for installing their winches onto Jeep vehicles, one for each Jeep model. There's a complete catalog from 1959 in a site online that you can find easily with a search for "ramsey pto winch". They're wide but will still fit between cruiser front frame rails.
From Tulsa, OK so they gotta' be good, right?

Oh, you mean electric winches? :)
Get an 8274. If you weren't so far away I'd sell you one of mine to keep you from buying a Ramsey electric winch.

honk said:
Oh, you mean electric winches? :)
Get an 8274. If you weren't so far away I'd sell you one of mine to keep you from buying a Ramsey electric winch.

Whats wrong with Ramsey electric winches? I have heard nothing but good from them and I would definetly take one.

stinkyfj60 said:
Whats wrong with Ramsey electric winches? I have heard nothing but good from them and I would definetly take one.

By all means take one. I didn't say that there's anything wrong with them.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll call the dude tomorrow and see what he has and how much he wants for it.

Ed

i sure hope you guys use your winches for pulling out the Chevy's and Jeeps cause back in the day when i had my 4runner i never needed a winch.

lunyou

lunyou said:
i sure hope you guys use your winches for pulling out the Chevy's and Jeeps cause back in the day when i had my 4runner i never needed a winch.

lunyou

Yeah most of us don't need winches on pavement either.

Bailey...no supervised study hall on Friday? Heh, you with the winching avatar.

So, you have a Warn?

Ed

BTW, the 8274 and 8274-50 are planetary geared? Just like the Ramseys?

Ed

if you can get it at a good price buy it, i had one of there 8000lb worm gear winches for over 15 years and loved it and the guy i sold the rig to is still useing it (10years later). they are one tuff winch, yes they have slow line speed but they draw lower amps then the warns and if you putt them against eachother it would pull the warn apart because of the worm gear design. look at tow trucks you will find that almost all if not all are useing ramsey winches. just my .02

hey degnol, ramsey makes both planetary and worm gear. :D

So, which do you prefer, and what are the advantages of each?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Ed

Degnol said:
BTW, the 8274 and 8274-50 are planetary geared? Just like the Ramseys?

Ed

No, spur gear for the Warn....one of the main reasons that it is so fast.

Planetary wiches suck, period. Own warn and ramsey, and they suck.

Spur=worm drive?

I have a Ramsey Winch on my new cruiser (came with)...........model 2000 / 12..serial #391878

I am also trying to research this model, coming up blank.

What model is it.?

The industrial line winches that you reference on tow trucks, nine times out of ten are a hydraulic unit, not electric. Further, comparing Ramsey’s industrial line to anyone else’s consumer line is apples and oranges.

Until you use or are on the end of a planetary winch, and then get the chance to use or be on the end of an 8274, you likely will not be able to understand the complete and total difference in the function of the two.

A worm winch should pull fewer amps, as it is not working as hard to do a somewhat similar function. However, taking five minutes of motor running time to do the same work that another winch can do in less than one, will more than make up for the current allegedly saved.

There is no other winch that I would even consider installing on the front of my Land Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom