Ramsey Winches? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spur=worm ? i dont know. but my ramsey saved my butt one time. i was dropping trees on my property (120ft cedar) and i had my ramsey tied to it and winching it while my buddy cut and drove wedges and it started to fall the wrong way and with out the winch it would have fell threw power lines and the nieghbors cabin. and the truck was anchored to a pretty good sized tree in the rear and the cedar actually started pulling the truck and the tree down hill, the tree i was anchored to pulled over and down pinching my truck between it and the ground putting a nice U shape in my tailgate, but i pulled the cedar down. ever sence i have loved ramsey worm gear winches. again just my opinion

Degnol said:
Spur=worm drive?

think of it like this Ed...

Green two cylinder tractors(JD) had the power all staying in a lateral plane...(other than those goofy L's) :)

The Warn " spur gear " drive has a gear on the motor that drives reduction gearing that is in line with the driven gear on the drum.

A worm drive winch is the Toyota PTO unit...

Look at how the " worm " or " pinion " gear is set in relation to the ring gear, entering the center of the teeth, 90 degrees to the center of the ring gear.

Look at an exploded view of the PTO winch set up on SOR's site...it is pretty clear there...just replace the pto shaft with the electric motor shaft being attached to the worm or pinion gear of the winch.

:beer:

So.....Spur DOES=Worm, as in a 90* drive and no need for a brake.

OK.....I get it.

Steve, do you have an 8274-50? As in "For Sale?"

Ed

Gunman-

you and I have had similar situations...me far more times that once..but the same nonetheless...just had a different brand winch on the front.

:beer:

I thought planetary was all the gears in the same plane?

Worm is at right angles like a diff....and the PTO?

Question is Worm =spur?

"Spur" is what I'm having trouble with

Ed

hey steve, yes similar dont get me wrong i have an older warn MX8000 on my cruiser now (got a deal on it) but that ramsey saved me and my buddies lots of times, that was just one time i really remember because of what could have happened thats all. :beer:

Try all the same place. :) in a cluster, revolving around one-another....

Worm does not equal spur...

If you look at the 8274, you will see a gearbox on the side in which all the gears are in the same vertical plane. This design while typically stronger, takes up more space to do what a planetary gear set can.

Degnol said:
I thought planetary was all the gears in the same plane?

Worm is at right angles like a diff....and the PTO?

Question is Worm =spur?

"Spur" is what I'm having trouble with

Ed

Worm gearsets have the smaller "worm" drive a larger toothed gear usually made of bronze. The worm gets it's name from how it works as a spiral that worms it's way along the outer teeth of the worm gear. ("worm" and companion "worm gear" are the nomenclature used). The worm reminds me of a snowblower blade at right angle to the worm gear and pulling it's teeth around. (If you read "Hunt for Red October' then you got a nice description of a worm drive :) )

The Ramsey model shown here:http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_sp.aspx?p_id=2227&se=ramsey_winch_ramsey_re_8000

Looks exactly like their PTO winches with the addition of an electric motor. VERY strong worm drive winches.

The other Ramseys shown in the site are planetary models and not as strong IMO and judging by the pricing..

Last edited:
I have had a Ramsey REP 8000 for about 15 years, Its on its second vehicle, Rolled the first one, Now its on the 40. But the reasons for its purchase was cost at the time, only drew 280 amp's at full load. I had a Ramsey RE 10,000 on out truck and it was a great one too, My only issues with it was the way it was mounted in the bumper it wasnt protected from the elements, like salt water the like, I had to clean all the terminals once a year, That included removing the whole bumper and all the mounts, But it was still a great winch.
Good luck

Poser said:
Ed-

WARN 8274-50.

The only thing you need to know about winches. ;)

fo' show'

no real experiance with anything else but my ramsey 7905 works great, wish i could fit more than 80 ft of 3/8ths cable though. carl

Sorry about bringing this thread back from the dead, since this is the only place to get info on it. I have an old Ramsey RE-8000 that I don’t really need and it’s a little big for my 4Runner. Does this thing have any value to you fine folks?
54F43153-629C-4A76-8840-382BFFF569ED.jpeg
ED463B9D-6880-4760-9B94-F5C13C2CF522.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom