Ramsey Winches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys any one ever use ramsey winches i found one in good shape for 300.00 and its rated at 8000lbs. and i was thinking about buying it, should I ?

Yes, that is why I own a Warn.

Save your 300. Get an 8274-50.

Good luck!

-Steve

I ran a ramsey years ago on my pickup and it got lots of use pulling trees/stumps and the occasional H**p. Finally sold the truck and winch after 12 years of hard use. It was reliable and never left the job undone.

I had a Ramsey low-profile on a pickup in the late 80's. Ran fine, pulled hard, but it got it's 8K rating with low gears, so it was SLOW!

I have a Ramsey Pro Plus 8000 on my FJ40 and have used it a few times with success and never had a problem. It's quick enough for me. Plus, your stuck and you ain't goin' anywhere anyhow! Ramsey makes a good winch.

I have one on my 73...so far so good. Although, it needs some attention as it is a biatch switching from free wheeling back into engaged. It's old and has lived a long life.

Not sure if they still have it on sale, but I just picked up a new ramsey 8,500e for $400 plus $30 shipping from http://www.northerntool.com . Putting it under the back of mine and haven't used it yet, but looks like a good unit.

just my .02

Chris

Just bought my 86 fj60 last month, it came with a "Ramsey Platinum 9000" that the PO bought, tried it out & stuck it in the garage! I work in engineering for the state DOT, doing engineering work, we have all kinds of drilling rigs for getting rock cores, earth borings, etc. & they all are equipped with huge Ramsey winches, never heard of any of them breaking.
John

Ramsey has multiple lines, and qualities of thier winches...

These are also hydro or mechanical, not electrical drive..

You're saying no Ramsey winches are electric?

"I work in engineering for the state DOT, doing engineering work, we have all kinds of drilling rigs for getting rock cores, earth borings, etc. & they all are equipped with huge Ramsey winches, never heard of any of them breaking."

Having built this, and many other types of equipment and installed Ramsey PTO and hyro winches on utility vehicles, that is where my comment stemms from. There are very, very few, if any electrical winches that are installed in these applications, and again, talking about hydro and PTO and comparing them to electrical units of any brand is not an even comparison, they are three different dive systems, and each have their own pros and cons, depending on the application.

I am well aware that Ramsey makes electrical winches, and some very strong units at that, having worked at a place that was a distributor and service center for Ramsey/Tulsa/Autocrane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom