Ramsey 8000# Winch ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A local guy has a 8000 Lb Ramsey winch for sale. I have no experience with winches.

Will this be able to handle the 60?

I did some searching and found some threads stating that Ramsey makes good stuff but I didn't find anything about the 8000# model.

Thanks

I have no winch experience either, yet! But I do have recent experience to share. I called Warn about a winch that came with my truck. They advised sizing the winch according to 1.5 times the GVW of your rig.
Others can confirm, but I think that the 60 series loaded with people and expedition gear is pushing 6k to 7k lbs. Which puts Warn's recommended winch capacity at 9,000 or 10,5000 lbs.

Rick

Personally, I'd have no problem running an 8k Ramsey on my 62. If it's priced right for it's condition, I say pull the trigger.

I have heard that the 1.5 multiplier is to account for the suction of deep mud. Being an East Coaster now, I am planning on getting a winch big enough to cover this multiplier. If I was still on the West Coast, I would be more inclined to get a lighter rated winch.

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to go look at the winch today...we'll see.

I read some threads stating that the warn 8274 is also a 8000# winch but it was vastly under rated by warn. Is this also the case for the Ramsey? Is the 8274 a better choice to hold out for?

If I go with this, I may get a snatch block just in case I end up in some deep mud!!! Ih8mud!

Ok, well I picked it up today. It's in pretty good shape and a good price. It came with a solid mounting plate and fairlead

We hooked it up to a battery and it was running fine in both directions. I opened up the one end and it was well packed with grease. I tried to get the clutch to release so that I could pull the line out but it seems stuck. I can move the clutch disengage handle to "out" but it just won't budge.

Perhaps I need to bolt it to the truck and hook the line up to a phone pole to get the clutch to free up!

be careful it might be something really simple. Not sure what it might be but you don't want to break anything.

lunyou

Post up a pic after it finds it's new home!

View attachment 236605

Fairlead is pretty crusty

View attachment 236606

View attachment 236607

Notice that the clutch mechanism is set to 'OUT' but it just won't let go. The instructions state that the gear housing should rotate when towing out the line with the clutch in the 'OUT' position. It's just stuck.

Now I just need to get out the welder and do some fabbing!

Last edited:
View attachment 236608

Here's a pic from Seneca Rocks National Park which is about 7.5 hours from CinCinNati. The truck did great!

Last edited:
i have that winch and have used it several times. works great but mine won't unwind properly either. i've pulled out several little grocery getters with it. it came with my 60 and is mounted to a damage multiplyer bumper.
2007-06-10 027 (Small).JPG

I know it's not on a 60, but I was towing a dead V8J40 and myself out of a bunch of mud-holes a couple weekends ago with my 8000# ramsey. It may be slow, but it pulls just fine.
DSCF9168.jpg

It may not need any modification to work on the ARB, but you would have to take it off of the base that it is on now.

So what is the best way to get the clutch to release without breaking it?

Well, last night I took everything apart. I am going to dig a little deeper and disassemble the gear mechanism on the right side to see if I can remedy the clutch issue. Also, I tried to take my bumper off but was unable to get the upper bolts off. All but one of the lower bolts broke off. good fun.

i'm waiting to hear what you find so i can do the same fix.

thanks!

Take the first set of gears out.
View attachment 237617

Take the second set of gears out. Push from the bottom up. There is a nylon plastic part at the bottom which has 6 allen bolts - 5/32. The gear housing is supposed to be able to move with some friction on this part. The gear housing has 4 mating surfaces here that can get crusty and stop moving. This guy is the first smoking gun.
View attachment 237618

Next is the nasty crud that you see on the right of the picture. I think it was a mixture of grease and mud. It was very hard and was keeping the clutch teeth from disengaging.

View attachment 237619

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom