Ramps + Jack stand (Harbor Freight) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From my reckoning the following wouldn't work.

Harbor freight ramps (6inch lift) + 6 ton jack stands for safety. (And chocks at the back).

The jack stands have a minimum of 15 1/4 inch which seems too high. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And yes I know the 3 ton ones are shorter.

I was looking at the Rhino ramps that state 8.5" height. 12,000 lbs

Shouldn't your floor jack lift your rig high enough to fit those jack stands under?
Having the rig jacked higher, I don't mind the extra space under the vehicle when wrenching. More elbow space and with my older eyes, looking at things a little further away helps keep them in focus.

I would skip the ramps and get a floor jack instead (I have this one and really like it). Then you can get your rig way up in the air and use the full 23.75" of the jack stands.

FYI - I definitely suggest 6-ton stands. Sure, they are overkill for a GX on weight rating, but they usually have a wider base than 3-ton stands and are inheritably more stable. I have a set of 4 of the Big Red version of the 6-ton stands (probably from the same Chinese factory) and they are great. The chocks you linked are also a great investment and should be used any time a vehicle is up in the air. I have two pairs of those (one pair for our camper and one pair that usually rides in my GX).

Get a 3 ton floor Jack and set of 6 ton stands. Those ramps are better suited for cars that are a pain in the ass to Jack up and support.

Get a jack to get your truck onto jackstands. Use wheel chocks anytime you have 1 side lifted and 1 side with wheels on the ground. I have a set of Rhino Ramps because my 1 car garage is too small for the GX and the flat part of my driveway is all the way at the end. It's easier to move 2 ramps than 160 pounds of jack and jackstands. I use these for things like skid plate inspection/maintenance. A jack + jackstands is the better choice if you can only pick 1.

Better yet - get all of them. LOL! Seriously, I have a set of plastic ramps, recently purchased. The ones I have are Rhino brand and are marked 16,000#. Amazing to think that they can support an automobile. I have had a 4Runner up on them, and also a first gen Tundra up on them. No issues so far. I put tall jackstands under the frame as a fail-safe if I have to go under the truck. Anyone else have any experience with any of these plastic ramps?

Reactions: r2m
Better yet - get all of them. LOL! Seriously, I have a set of plastic ramps, recently purchased. The ones I have are Rhino brand and are marked 16,000#. Amazing to think that they can support an automobile. I have had a 4Runner up on them, and also a first gen Tundra up on them. No issues so far. I put tall jackstands under the frame as a fail-safe if I have to go under the truck. Anyone else have any experience with any of these plastic ramps?
I have the Rhino ramps too, they are handy for skid plate work and for Fluid Film application (put both ramps on the same side). But there are times when you need to do a wheel-off job and ramps won't work, so jack stands are needed, so I have both.

The plastic ramps are much easier to store than the metal ones because they nest together so neatly.

I have some old 3-ton jack stands but don't use them much because they are too short. But all my trucks are/have been lifted, so that makes a big difference there.

The plastic ramps are much easier to store than the metal ones because they nest together so neatly.
Probably a lot lighter too!

Between ramps and jackstands, jackstand's get used probably 98% of the time in conjunction with an tall aluminum racing jack. About the only time I would use ramps is for oil changes, and I stopped doing those myself so the ramps just sit in a corner collecting dust.

I have the 6 ton stands, I wouldn't trust the 3 ton ones on a vehicle as heavy as the GX. It's not so much the strength, but the stability. I've had jackstands tip over on me. Plus the 3 ton's are usually too short to get the suspension fully unloaded especially when you have a lift. I pretty much use the 6 ton ones on all my vehicles even the non-lifted ones, about the only time I use a 3 ton is when doing axle work to support the axle or keeping a car in the air to prevent flat spotting.