ramp, jack stands or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhat silly question. What do you, guys, use to get under the hundy? Ramp? Jack stands? Something else? I still have running boards as this is kid-mobile so hi-lift would not be a good option. Right?

12-ton double-locking jackstands. These trucks are heavy. Ramps aren't really needed because of the high clearance (for normal maintenance, I just slide under). The only time you need the stands is when the wheels are off and then ramps wouldn't work anyway. Keep in mind, jack stands are rated in pairs with vertical load. Get at least 2 pair. I like having a 5th around for safety if I'm trusting my life to them. Or at least creating survival space with putting the removed tire under the rail (in addition to the stand).

Amazon.com: Torin Double-Locking Ratchet Action Jack Stands - 12-Ton Capacity, Model# T12002A: Everything Else

Best thing I ever bought for the Hundy that is not attached to truck is a 3.5 ton floor jack. You can pick them up all over the place for cheap. I use it all the time along with four 6 ton jack stands. (Dennis has me worried now...)

Get some of those 12 tonners Paul. They also go higher and have a wider (more stable) base. After you use one you'll never believe you trusted a 6 ton.

Living in the city, the curb works pretty well too if you just need to get under it and not take tires off. Makes a very dependable ramp.

I really think you need them all to work on your rig. The ramps are great for oil changes. Get a 3 ton floor jack and 12 ton jack stands for maintenance items. I use all of these on regular basis, don’t skimp on your safety.

HF jack stands and floor jack.

You are a very brave sole.

I really think you need them all to work on your rig. The ramps are great for oil changes. Get a 3 ton floor jack and 12 ton jack stands for maintenance items. I use all of these on regular basis, don’t skimp on your safety.

I'm running the same tires and close to the same lift as you and oil changes are no problemo with all four paws on the ground. In fact all PM's can be done from below. Even pulling the trans pan was done with it parked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a 3.5 ton service jack and 4 - 6 ton jack stands... I wish I'd picked up the 12 ton stands though... I'll get some 12 tonners next time I see them on sale... It never hurts to have extra stuff like that in the garage... Even smaller car jacks are handy to have around...

I'm running the same tires and close to the same lift as you and oil changes are no problemo with all four paws on the ground. In fact all PM's can be done from below. Even pulling the trans pan was done with it parked.

I have not tried an oil change post lift and tires, I will still use them though. I think the poster’s rig is stock so he will definitely need them. Also if you want to do the Home Depot bucket oil change you will need the ramps. Just make sure you get the right ones. You want the black plastic Blitz Rhino Ramps.

Amazon.com: Blitz Rhino Ramp 8000: Automotive

ryino.jpg
ryino.jpg

my truck is not lifted, except for the 33" tires, and i don't have any problems changing oil or greasing drive line. OTOH, it would be more comfortable with a couple more inches. for the oil changes, i have a fumoto valve, so there is no elbow room needed for twisting a bolt. for the drive line, i end up needing to move a few inches to get the zirks pointing down, so i would rather just use some scraps of 2x6 (but i don't bother).

Jack Stands

I can't get myself to trust the 3 ton stands as they are so small for this truck.
-
Last project I used some Redneck backup. Beatle-kill Colorado Ponderosa Pine. Worked great, truck did not budge.

Look in the back of the truck in the pic, hard to see, but bottom line,

Be Safe with the beast - GO BIG.
Bilsteins, airlift 1000.jpg

It's funny what we "feel" safe with. I don't trust traditional ramps. I use them for my Avalon , but not the Cruiser. I use 4 12T jack stands on the frame, and some 2 1/2 and 3 tons for the axles. The jack is never used to hold the truck, only to lift until it can be settled on stands. When you pull the rear springs, that rear end is pretty darn close to the ceiling in my garage. Tire that is removed is always placed under a frame rail. I figure if it drops, it'll blow the bead and tire, but I'll at lease have 8" of rim before is squashes me...

Why do you say that? Are the hundreds of peeps here using them in some kind of danger?

most of the folks here wouldn't allow cheap cast Chinese parts to be bolted on their engine. so isn't it even worse to allow the same mystery metal to protect your life? just sayin'. :)

I've had HF 3-ton stand that I've used on cars before. Having used both, there's no comparison.

I have not tried an oil change post lift and tires, I will still use them though. I think the poster’s rig is stock so he will definitely need them. Also if you want to do the Home Depot bucket oil change you will need the ramps. Just make sure you get the right ones. You want the black plastic Blitz Rhino Ramps.

Amazon.com: Blitz Rhino Ramp 8000: Automotive

View attachment 567672

That's true. An HD bucket requires some height. I just use the ol' trusty low-profile drain pan.

It's funny what we "feel" safe with. I don't trust traditional ramps. I use them for my Avalon , but not the Cruiser.

What does an untraditional ramp look like?

You do realize that the wheels are still attached to the car when you use a ramp.... right? If the ramp failed the car would be..................................still on it's wheels. :D

You don't have to answer this I just thought it was funny as hell.

HF jack stands and floor jack.

You are a very brave sole.

If there were any real danger HF would have been out of business years ago from law suits. After all America is the land of the frivolous law suit, if people were getting crushed on even an occasional basis there would be law suits out the ass against HF.
I have used the hell out of my HF jack stands and floor jack for years.

If there were any real danger HF would have been out of business years ago from law suits. After all America is the land of the frivolous law suit, if people were getting crushed on even an occasional basis there would be law suits out the ass against HF.
I have used the hell out of my HF jack stands and floor jack for years.

The Torin brand suggested in the link above are sold at Northern Tool, Pep Boys and even Wal-Mart. Northern and HF are similar tool businesses so I'd expect their jack stands to be of similar quality. A friend of mine purchased Napa brand 6 Ton jack stands and they don't seem any nicer than my Torin stands but they were double what I paid for mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom