RAM MOUNT Apple iPad and iPod Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anthony.L

Looking for the end of the road...
Threads
Thought I would share my command central setup in case others are interested in having similar setups.

I've been waiting for RAM MOUNT to finish their iPad mount for over 2 months now. I just picked it up today (they are local to me). Install is super easy with only one small modification to make to the seat bracket mount. I had to bend it to match the angle of the seat bracket on the LC. You can see what I'm talking about in the second picture below. The bracket out of the package is completely flat. Took maybe 5 mins to install. Zero holes or drilling necessary to install which is very nice. I was not keen on drilling holes in my transmission hump or floor board. The rod for the mount is 18" long and is made from a soft metal that is flexible. I put a slight z-bend in it to get it where I wanted it, and away from the passenger as much as possible.

The iPod mount I did have to drill two holes in the center console to mount it. Not the end of the world, I was already drilling holes for the Cobra 75 CB connector you can also see in the pictures.

Please excuse the dirty interior, just got home from 4 days in the woods of Idaho and Montana and going out wheelin again tomorrow all day. No use in cleaning it right now!

lc_car_mount_1.jpg

lc_car_mount_2.jpg

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I was just thinking about doing this to a LX that I was suppose to get

nice job hey have you taken any trips yet with the ram mount inplace? My friend got one for his laptop and it would vibrate constantly (this was in a fj cruiser). also with regards to the ipad; are you getting good signals while driving? are you streaming anything or simply using the map apps?

I so wish there was something similar and as good that was PC based. All of my GPS stuff and software is PC and won't run on a Mac. Make sure you take that thing with you, that screams smash and grab.

To use Google maps don't you need purchase a iPad with 3G and GPS and give AT&T $15-$30/month?

nice job hey have you taken any trips yet with the ram mount inplace? My friend got one for his laptop and it would vibrate constantly (this was in a fj cruiser). also with regards to the ipad; are you getting good signals while driving? are you streaming anything or simply using the map apps?

The mount does vibrate around, my only complaint so far. However I'm guessing it's much less then a heavy laptop since the iPad hardly weighs anything. If the vibration gets annoying I['m going to add an anchor to the mount to give it more support and that will fix the vibration. Nothing a little creativity will not solve.

Right now I'm using it strictly for map software and internet browsing on the road. The only reason I'm not using it for audio/video yet is I don't have any way yet to integrate it into the factory stereo. However that will be next and I have some ideas to get it working. Once done I will probably use AirVideo or the new Apple AirTunes to stream music and video from my home Mac Pro wirelessly to the iPad.

When I first bought the iPad I was worried about the quality and accuracy of the GPS chipset and how well it would work inside the car. So far it's been very accurate! The location locks on fairly fast and has not swayed off course yet when recording tracks during my trips. FYI, I'm using an awesome application called MotionX GPS. It's only $2.99 in the app store, and easily worth $100 if it was on PC or other platform.

To use Google maps don't you need purchase a iPad with 3G and GPS and give AT&T $15-$30/month?

The GPS chipset is part of the cellular 3G chipset. In other words if you want GPS functionality you have to buy the Wifi + 3G model iPad. However you do not have to activate the 3G cellular with AT&T to use the GPS. Mine is activated, because I really love having mobile internet in the car and when walking around with the iPad. I was able to grandfather in on the unlimited plan, however after using it I think the 2.5GB plan would be more then enough as long as you are not streaming media.

I so wish there was something similar and as good that was PC based. All of my GPS stuff and software is PC and won't run on a Mac. Make sure you take that thing with you, that screams smash and grab.

The iPad and iPod get stored when parked, they are not left for display to would be thieves. I don't live in the best area, it would not take long for someone to help themselves.

You can tethering it with non AT&T phone, yes?

Wireless tethering, yes. I believe almost all of the Android phones support creating a wifi hotspot for use to tether to other devices (laptop, ipad, etc).

You can also buy products from Sprint, Clear, etc that are mobile hotspots only.

Anything wifi the iPad will work with, however there is no hardwire (USB or Bluetooth) tethering unless you are willing to JailBreak it.

Thanks for the MotionX referral, I will look into it. I would like to also refer the iphone/ipad app titled Topo Maps. Its probably a bit simpler, but it stores USGS quad maps (all 70,000+ for free, also interfaces to Canadian gov't maps) on the device, so works well when you are out of data range. Of course the maps are pretty old (not alot of recent revisions), but topo lines have not changed a great deal in the past few decades.

I realize this discussion is getting out of LC100 tech territory, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I bought both MotionX ($2.99) and TopoMaps ($7.99) at the same time. I use MotionX all the time, and hardly ever load Topo. MotionX supports downloading their maps for offline use, has been more valuable to me then the topo maps offline.

Just my $.02.

Wireless tethering, yes. I believe almost all of the Android phones support creating a wifi hotspot for use to tether to other devices (laptop, ipad, etc).

You can also buy products from Sprint, Clear, etc that are mobile hotspots only.

Anything wifi the iPad will work with, however there is no hardwire (USB or Bluetooth) tethering unless you are willing to JailBreak it.

Exactly how I understood it.:)

I tether my wifi iPad with my iPhone 4. Two devices and one data plan (unlimited).

Jailbroken. Takes all of 2 seconds to do (go to a site and slide tab). And now is completely legal. Actual tethering app is mywi. It's worked flawlessly for me.

My Garmin GPS crapped out so am in the market for a replacement. I was thinking about going with the ipad but I travel in remote areas often (hunting and fishing) so am worried about 3G coverage.

Any comments on AT&T and Verizon coverage in the US and Canada?

pegasis0066 said:
My Garmin GPS crapped out so am in the market for a replacement. I was thinking about going with the ipad but I travel in remote areas often (hunting and fishing) so am worried about 3G coverage.

The 3G AGPS works even if you are out of cell coverage. My iPhone works with topos that I've downloaded regardless of service. The wifi iPad has no GPS.
I use this app for USGS topos when not in coverage. http://avenza.com/pdf-maps and this one when I am in coverage. http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/smartphones/app.html

Also http://www.gaiagps.com/

And http://gps.motionx.com/ipad/overview/

Last edited:

I have AT&T 3G on mine and find the coverage to be awesome. However there is plenty of times I well up in the mountains and no cell carrier will be in range. The GPS chipset works regardless of whether or not you have cell coverage or even a cell contract.

I recommend you look into the iPad app called MotionX GPS HD. It's an awesome app for traveling period, but my favorite part is you can download to the iPad Google style maps for offline use when you have no cell coverage. That means the maps work as normal with GPS pinpoint and tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom