Ram Jet 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to put a Ram Jet 350 in the 40 I am rebuilding, but @ $4,800 plus it is just outside my budget....I was hoping someone might have an idea of how I could get one for a bit less.

Any thoughts?

nocents

There is a guy in Colorado that has one for sale on Pirate for ~$3500 I think. Lost his job and needs to sell it.
-Brian

Can you get a hold of a sunday newspaper for the Houston area? My bro in law there says local dealers put ads up for the motor regularly, and the going rate is less than 2 grand plus labor, tax.

BigDaddy..

I call BS.

Please post any info on this that you can...

Thanks!

-Steve

Well, its not less money but I thought it was pretty sweet.

Jegs has a limited edition all aluminum big block. Ram jet ZL1 454.

520HP

Jegs states "Serious Engine, Serious Price" Only 200 made.

$21,249.99

Steve
I got the itch and dug some up. Looky here, Landmark Chevy in Houston, advertises in the paper (Chronicle). Turns out there's a bunch of options, the RamJet being one of them. Click here
http://www.landmarkchevy.com/Parts/Default.htm
then click Performance, then on Crate engines
then go search if you have copied pasted the part number to get the price (about two grand everyday low price).
and read the text in this here portion also

:cheers:
12486041 350 HO
Our lowest priced crate engine, the 330 horsepower 350 HO doesn't sacrifice power or durability, it just pumps up the value. With its four bolt main block, nodular iron crankshaft, PM steel connecting rods and light but strong cast aluminum pistons, this engine screams durability. Add to the strong foundation a pair of 64cc Vortec cast iron cylinder heads and a dual pattern camshaft with just a bit of a "lumpy" idle, and you've got the muscle car small block that you've been looking for. Dressed to impress with chrome valve covers and timing cover, this engine will look great between the fenders of your favorite street rod, muscle car or grass roots racer. The cylinder heads on this great little performer use 1.94" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves that are sprung with 1999 Corvette L3I valve springs. The 64cc chambers yield a healthy, but streetable 9.1 to 1 compression ratio. The cam is a modern dual pattern interpretation of the old '65 to '67 Corvette 327 cam. But with more lift and duration on the exhaust side, it does a better job of clearing exhaust from the combustion chamber. We also decreased duration and lift ever so slightly on the intake side to build more cylinder pressure. The result is a cam that makes great torque and horsepower with the 350 HO's 9.1 to 1 compression ratio. Add the new dual plane intake manifold P/N 12496820, 650 cfm carburetor, HEI distributor, torsional damper, water pump and exhaust manifolds or headers and you've got an outstanding muscle motor with a broad, smooth torque curve and an honest 330 horsepower. This manifold has four bolts, not six, to attach it to the cylinder head. Older six-bolt manifolds will not fit the new Vortec heads. The 350 HO is not intended for marine use, and should only be used in 1975 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or any year off road vehicles.

Technical Notes: Engine ID code is CC. Requires a counterweighted flywheel or flexplate, 10105832, 14088646, 14088650, 14088765, or 12554824. See flywheel chart. Requires torsional damper 6272221 (6.75") or 12555879 (8"). Oil dipstick located on right side. 650 cfm carburetor recommended. Chrome valve covers and timing cover included. Intake manifold, distributor, flywheel, torsional damper, water pump, and exhaust manifolds are not included. Distributor P/N 1104067 or melonized distributor gear P/N 10456413 must be used on all crate engines with steel camshafts.

Still BS? :D

[quote author=BigDaddy link=board=1;threadid=12850;start=msg118710#msg118710 date=1078951599]
Steve
I got the itch and dug some up. Looky here, Landmark Chevy in Houston, advertises in the paper (Chronicle). Turns out there's a bunch of options, the RamJet being one of them. Click here
http://www.landmarkchevy.com/Parts/Default.htm
then click Performance, then on Crate engines
then go search if you have copied pasted the part number to get the price (about two grand everyday low price).
and read the text in this here portion also

:cheers:
12486041 350 HO
Our lowest priced crate engine, the 330 horsepower 350 HO doesn't sacrifice power or durability, it just pumps up the value. With its four bolt main block, nodular iron crankshaft, PM steel connecting rods and light but strong cast aluminum pistons, this engine screams durability. Add to the strong foundation a pair of 64cc Vortec cast iron cylinder heads and a dual pattern camshaft with just a bit of a "lumpy" idle, and you've got the muscle car small block that you've been looking for. Dressed to impress with chrome valve covers and timing cover, this engine will look great between the fenders of your favorite street rod, muscle car or grass roots racer. The cylinder heads on this great little performer use 1.94" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves that are sprung with 1999 Corvette L3I valve springs. The 64cc chambers yield a healthy, but streetable 9.1 to 1 compression ratio. The cam is a modern dual pattern interpretation of the old '65 to '67 Corvette 327 cam. But with more lift and duration on the exhaust side, it does a better job of clearing exhaust from the combustion chamber. We also decreased duration and lift ever so slightly on the intake side to build more cylinder pressure. The result is a cam that makes great torque and horsepower with the 350 HO's 9.1 to 1 compression ratio. Add the new dual plane intake manifold P/N 12496820, 650 cfm carburetor, HEI distributor, torsional damper, water pump and exhaust manifolds or headers and you've got an outstanding muscle motor with a broad, smooth torque curve and an honest 330 horsepower. This manifold has four bolts, not six, to attach it to the cylinder head. Older six-bolt manifolds will not fit the new Vortec heads. The 350 HO is not intended for marine use, and should only be used in 1975 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or any year off road vehicles.

Technical Notes: Engine ID code is CC. Requires a counterweighted flywheel or flexplate, 10105832, 14088646, 14088650, 14088765, or 12554824. See flywheel chart. Requires torsional damper 6272221 (6.75") or 12555879 (8"). Oil dipstick located on right side. 650 cfm carburetor recommended. Chrome valve covers and timing cover included. Intake manifold, distributor, flywheel, torsional damper, water pump, and exhaust manifolds are not included. Distributor P/N 1104067 or melonized distributor gear P/N 10456413 must be used on all crate engines with steel camshafts.

[/quote]

Yes, cuz that's not a Ram Jet! Good motor but still.

Read the spec on this and you can see the difference:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=120&pid=463

[quote author=BigDaddy link=board=1;threadid=12850;start=msg118710#msg118710 date=1078951599]

[/quote]

Very much so.

12495515- Ram jet 350 from these people- 5235.48us does not include any acc.
Non AC serp.system 40497697-665.00us

12486041- NOT above, NOT fuel injected, NOT 350HP small block-2508.33us

Called and talked to 'Lenny' in parts at the dealership in Houston.

Here are a couple links to two that I have in my shop right now, one going into a 40 series, the other going into an 80 series.

http://www.mindcrater.com/Gallery_24Jan04/pages/ShopKam01-24-04-30.htm

http://www.mindcrater.com/Gallery_25Oct03/pages/ShopKam10-25-03-52.htm

Have a great day.

-Steve

Steve
Do I understand you right? you pay around 4 grand for a motor that makes 20 more horsepower than this other one that costs around half?
Looking on ebay I can find all sorts of vortec motors, some with very low miles (ie. 20k) that come with harnesses and computers for around 1 grand. You might say, sure Ben, these are fine for a grand but look at the hp rating, a miserable 235 horses. And if I say Steve look at the LT-1s and LS-1s on ebay you may rightly say they're all well worn, with a slim chance that they've not been abused AND they cost to rebuild as much or more that these here new RamJet Sbs that come with ECM and harness, just hook up power and fuel.
You make a great point, maybe the RamJet is a bargain at 4-5 grand with all the trimmings, for a new engine. But is it really the most bang for your money?
As I read it, the RamJet is a 2 bolt main vs a 4 bolt main on the other, both have iron Vortec heads that should bolt up to the same manifolds/fuel delivery setups/ECM (ie std GM). The compression ratio is close, 9.4 to 9.1 and the cam is the only thing that's unclear between them, with one a roller and the other unspecified. I may have been hasty in calling it the same, being that I'm still lacking wiring, intake manifold and ECM. But I'll be damned if I can't wait for that pn to go on sale around 2 grand in the summer, and get me off ebay a complete TPI setup off a Corvette or equivalent and have as much power, and have enough $$ left over to buy you a burger and fries, with a :beer: , or two...

[quote author=BigDaddy link=board=1;threadid=12850;start=msg119213#msg119213 date=1078994161]
Do I understand you right? you pay around 4 grand for a motor that makes 20 more horsepower than this other one that costs around half?[/quote]

If you add the price of a new efi system and roller cam and lifters to the motor yer talkin about you'll prolly come up close to even.

I do agree that for what you get the ram jet doesn't seem all that spectacular.

Ben-

I was simply calling out the BS on a RamJet engine for 2K, and the differences in the two, and your gerneralization on the matter...

Good luck!

-Steve

The Ram Jet appears to make a nice clean set-up. No extra wires and sensors to mess with etc. Only good for non-smog vehicles. The ideas you guys have been talking about are all the things needed to make a decision. I was hoping some had an idea that might save a few bucks and help sway thew decision to the Ram Jet..........

Steve you seem to have installed a few, do you think it is a big waste of $$

I'll keep trying

nocents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom