ram jet 350 serpentine or not??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am setting up the ramjet for install this week and i noticed that the serpentine kit for this engine is 700 bucks ... not a bad price.

What would you guys do? serpentine or the regular pulley system?

i am setting up the ramjet for install this week and i noticed that the serpentine kit for this engine is 700 bucks ... not a bad price.

What would you guys do? serpentine or the regular pulley system?

The serpentine kit is the only way I would go.

If it were not going to be so much screwing around, I would have it on my 2F.

:beer:

I was thinking of going with the gm performance parts one P/N 12497698 with A/C.

any other ones recommended? around that price range.

I wonder how much it will be at gilbert chevy Gilbert Chevrolet

Ive bought alot of stuff from them lately maybe they will cut me a deal.

Serp is the only way to go. too many guys with V belts make me listen to their ps pump squealing all day.

Lots of brackets in bone yards. I like the two aluminum ones found on just about anything from the late 80s-90s. csb's have the same bolt configurations from 68ish on. The three bolt holes in each head and two on either side of the crank. makes it really easy to scavenge parts. If you're looking for shiny new I think you could look at ordering them for a mid-90s F body.

I just ordered a remote reservoir ps pump for mine today and a AC eliminator pulley last week. It became obvious after three years that I wasn't going to hook up on board air or plumb the AC. It was just a matter of time before the compressor locked and tossed the belt.

don't forget the reverse rotation water pump

Last edited:
I guess Im old school here...
My TPI conversion w/ ac was changed to Vbelt...my logic was if I lost an accessory I would always have a water pump to get home. In the past I had serp motor have tensionor go bad, ac clutch lock up, and alt bearing seize but so far the vbelt motors have always got me home.

Good point on the reverse rotation water pump.

ok so i understand that not going serp increases reliability by not loosing all components if the one belt goes out. isnt that solved by carrying a spare belt in the truck?

i am definitely running A/C i live in south florida it gets crazy hot here and being that this is going to be my daily driver.. it just makes sense

ok so i understand that not going serp increases reliability by not loosing all components if the one belt goes out. isnt that solved by carrying a spare belt in the truck?

i am definitely running A/C i live in south florida it gets crazy hot here and being that this is going to be my daily driver.. it just makes sense

There's really no need to debate what is better/more reliable, etc. They are both good for different reasons. You just need to decide which is right for you. I think Phil's point is that if you seize one part of the puzzle (not a broken belt) the serp belt is not going to spin correctly. With a v-belt you'll still have a water pump to cool your engine even if your A/C or P/S pump seize (different belt).

I used to have a v-belt setup and it was piece mealed together by the P.O. I had a hard time sourcing the right replacement parts because I had no idea what they were out of. The belts did tend to squeel now and then and the adjustments were a little tricky because it was not a complete go-together set. I'm sure there are very good complete V-Belt setups out there.

The serp setup to me is easy to install, all the parts are easily sourced with GM part #'s, etc. Never squeeks and is basically maintenance free. If you are so inclined you could buy an idler pulley and spare (shorter) belt in case your AC froze and you were in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise that's what AAA's for.

I have a Ramjet with the serp setup and it's a refreshing change from my old setup.

Good Luck

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom