RAL TIME HELP: EGR removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacubng my head gasket, and am having trouble removing the EGR from the exhaust manifold. At least i believe its the egr. It is on the outside of the exhaust manifold, help on by 4 bolts and a hose on the bottom. any advice?

The entire assembly on the top row. The hose beneeth 7 is the one I can't get off

do you mean the nut is stuck? ive always had a problem getting back on but never off.

After removing mine a million times; the very first time I removed the 'J' tube from the egr cooler and manifold, then the smaller hoses from the egr itself, then I removed the egr, corrugated tube and egr cooler as one piece. Once out of the rig it is easier to take fully apart. And, use some anti-seize on the tube connections upon reassembly, makes it easier to take apart next time.

My question is where to remove the egr tube in order ti get the entire assembly off

The egr 'J' tube is attached to the rear/underside of the manifold with 2 studs; just follow it up from the egr cooler (#4). You'll have to remove or at least unbolt the heat shield at this end of the manifold and push it out of the way to see the studs better. It's all coming off anyway. Remove the 2 bolts holding the cooler to the engine block; and the u-bolts holding the corrugated tube and the 2 egr bolts. Oh, yeah, the shield attached to the frame under the steering gear needs to come off to better access this mess. Just pull it out from the bottom of the engine.

Alright thanks for the advice. I spent a good but of time trying to disconnect the j tube from the manifold, and that didn't work too well

It's all going to be really rusted and tough. To take the big J-tube nut off the EGR cooler, I had to put it in a vice and use a big pipe wrench and PB Blaster. The EGR J-tube is held on by 2-12 mm nuts threaded onto 2 studs that are threaded into the exhaust manifold near the firewall.

I got it off, took some persuading with PB and a bigass wrench :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom