Raising up an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another newbie question: Just noticed that I have only 8" clearance at the muffler on my stock '94 80-series LC. Someone posted some nice shots of an armoring option for the muffler, but here's my question: What are my options (less-expensive ones first) for giving myself a bit more clearance?

I've got some good big stock Michelins (size unstated here). I love the truck, and we'll be taking it into the Mojave and nearby points exclusively. No rock-crawling anytime soon, though.I've got a Tacoma PreRunner, so I'm used to some better clearance, but it don't have 4WD. And it ain't an LC.

Assuming your running stock 31" tires from factory, you can buy 33" tires and that will raise up your cruiser a couple of inches... Technically you can run 33" tires with a stock 80 series cruiser/suspension....

larger tires (assuming you buy 5 so you'll have a spare to rotate in) will likely cost over $1000 once you're out the door.

a OME 2.5" lift will run just under $800 + shipping. If you install it yourself, I think this would be the least expensive way to get more clearance.

If you're really concerned about clearance, I'd spend the money on sliders and a transfer case skid plate first. If you're going to hit your exhaust, you won't be far from hitting your T-case and rocker panels.

From my experience, I haven't damaged my exhaust, but I have destroyed my rockers. I would do sliders first.

P1010016.jpg

Good advice, way more $$$ to fix rockers or a T-case, vs. a $50 replacement muffler.

I just plasma off my entire muffler right before I hit the Starbucks aggressive spots. Been hit with a few rolling noise ordinance violations, but hey could be worse .. I could have actually gone in and blown $23.97 on a Venti Caramel Macchiato and date square. :eek:

TY

PS: Don't let anyone laugh at your 31's. Not with the price of gas ..

You just get wierder by the day T Y. :D

Actually going from 31's to 33's only nets you 1 inch of clearance. Half that tire is above the axle. :idea: LOL

Ive smashed my share of mufflers. *most* actually take quite a beating before they start to leak. My buddies explorer muffler looked like it had been floating through an asteroid field for a couple hundred years, but didnt leak at all. I would worry about your rocker's, or smashing the hell out of your front or rear bumper on inclines/decents.

I would go with a mild lift, but if thats out of your price range, the 33's are a good start.

skyshark186 said:
You just get wierder by the day T Y. :D

Actually going from 31's to 33's only nets you 1 inch of clearance. Half that tire is above the axle. :idea: LOL

Sure, yer math works here......but, when it comes to treadlife........ :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom