raising the roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
ok, I have been thinking about this a bit more lately.

idea: a westfalia style pop up tent on top of an 80 to sleep two comfortably.

design. access is through the sunroof hole so no major holes to to cut and you even keep the headliner slide to seal it off. 2 piece FRP construction. A short fixed windguard piece just in front of the sunroof hole. The main lifting roof behind. Scissor hinge mount at rear. to raise the roof you stand on the driver or pax seat and push up. locking hinges do the rest.

what's wrong with this picture? It would maybe look like those raised roof import 60s. in fact, I would love it if someone could photochop it. maybe using the skinny style roof on the newer westies.

I've often thought how cool it would be to have my rover roof on my cruiser. It swings up and there are 2 bunks to sleep in..It's a great set-up. its called a landrover dormobile. Maybe someone could phot-chop the roof off my rover and add it to an 80??

Rob M
dor(k)mobile.jpg

I believe it's been done in Australia.

stayalert said:
I've often thought how cool it would be to have my rover roof on my cruiser. It swings up and there are 2 bunks to sleep in..It's a great set-up. its called a landrover dormobile. Maybe someone could phot-chop the roof off my rover and add it to an 80??

Rob M

How bout somethin like this??? - Tim

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but might it be unwise to mess around with the unibody structure on the roof of the veh? just wondering how much integrity in side and rollover crashes would be affected by the removal of the roof bows.
Dave

PHAEDRUS said:
I hate to be the voice of reason here, but might it be unwise to mess around with the unibody structure on the roof of the veh? just wondering how much integrity in side and rollover crashes would be affected by the removal of the roof bows.
Dave

Very Good point Dave!! rigidity of the vehicle would be reduced considerably I would expect.

Tim that looks good but on the later westies the roof hinges from the back. I'll try to find a photo.

Dave

i ain't removing any roof just drilling a few holes. access is through the sunroof hole. everything bolts on. Westies have a hole in the middle but retain most of their roof structure.

here's a coupl. will try to find a eurovan

PHAEDRUS said:
Dave

Add a roll cage :)

Just a thought, as I've considered a variety of roof sleeping arrangements. If you to this, you'll make the 80 too tall to fit into a lot of parking structures including your garage. Since it's kinda permanent, might be something to consider.

There are a couple of removable roof tent and roof boxes for sleeping that will fit on the 80.

Try Lofty Shelters (tents), and a company called Top Bunk (fiberglass hinged sleeping box) for availability here in the US.

What's nice about both solutions is that they can also be removed from your vehicle at the campsite and used on the ground for a base camp while you go off and wheel or whatever. And of course you're not paying the fuel penalty and overhead clearance restrictions 100% of the time as you mount these when you want to head out.

Also, both of these have nice roof ladder access vs crawling in and out of the sunroof - which would get old after a few trips for that paperback, or a cold drink vs the ladder up/down.

DougM

LandCruiserPhil said:
Add a roll cage :)

I'm pretty sure the roof's integrity is not compromised if the access is via the sunroof, as Semlin suggested.

That said, an exterior roll cage would make a good mounting point for various and sundry roof racks, tents etc.

Doug,

Having used a westy I can tell you they are a good deal less hassle than a removable rooftop tent. you just pull over, open the sunroof slide, and lift up the roof in one motion. the sunroof access is not for the over 50 crowd but one reason i like it is because I could put my two kids up there.

another thing is I think this would be as cheap or cheaper to manufacture than a rooftop box or tent. It does not have as many structural elements. the only problem would be dropping the headliner in the cargo area because I suspect you will have to reinforce the hinges with backplates from within.

As for height, take a look at a newer VW eurovan poptop. It adds less height than the factory roofrack. I am pretty sure I would still be under 6' 8" with a 2.5" lift and 33s.

Really now - I've been tent camping, sleeping in the open, inside vehicles and on top of picnic tables for over 40 years.

The best thing about the 60 series is that you can sleep in them very comfortably, I miss my 60 very much just for that, not so with the 80's unless you come from the land of oz....

Otherwise - get a decent tent and learn how to get it up quick and in the rain if necessary....

Destroy a perfectly good 80 to crawl into a roof top cluster f**k tent - no way....

They do have tents that are made to use with the back of an SUV - I have no use for them as they leak like a sieve in a driving rain though....

spartan said:
Otherwise - get a decent tent and learn how to get it up quick and in the rain if necessary....

Destroy a perfectly good 80 to crawl into a roof top cluster f**k tent - no way....

tell me what you really think :D

the truck would not be destroyed by this conversion. In fact, it could be restored to original by pulling the screws out and capping the holes. That's alreayd been done with the roofrack holes. Heck, maybe it can use some of the roofrack holes :D

there is nothing wrong with this style of tent. They shed rain well yet give good ventilation. I have done many thousands of miles in westies. If you haven't tried them do not knock them.

I do have a decent tent thanks and I can put it up in a very short time. I also camp in bear country and have a wife who is scared of bears and would never let our 2 kids sleep in their own tent. Consequently we all sleep in the one decent but slightly cosy tent when we are off the beaten track. Wouldn't mind some privacy. I don't mind the idea of a drawer slide bed in the back of the truc k in theory, but it leaves me nowhere to store our food. Food has to go in the truck or hang from a high tree branch in bear country.

So anyway I found some photos of poptop troopies. two are european one ozzie.

I's your truck - do whatever you want. It's gonna leak though - betcha a quarter....

Bear country - I always put the food in a moderate size cooler in the truck. I don't hang food unless I'm backpacking - might as well be bait. Put the kids in the back of the truck and sleep with your wife in the tent - works really well for me - I mean really well.....

the sunroof already leaks :crybaby:

what else you got?

maybe i can sell people on this idea by posting more photos. a couple of eurovans with the different roof styles.

Spartan,

I think it's 4 bolts to remove the center row on an 80. We've done this a few times. Then you leave the third row in the folded position and have well over 7 feet of length to sleep in the back on a trip. Run into some friends on the trip? Fold down the third row and you can carry 5 people.

DougM

The biggest 2 advantages of a pop up top with upstairs sleeping are 1) you can leave all of you cargo in place, including all the bulky stuff that does not fit in a drawer system, and still a a flat place to sleep, and 2) the ground does not need to be smooth or dry in order to be comfortable.

Here is what I think is a even better idea. Lengthen the frame and body of a 80 cruiser a bit, not a lot, maybe a 2 or 3 feet at the most. This is to get more storage room. Put a poptop on with a sleeping platform, accessable from the inside up into the sleeping area. Spiffy up the suspension, brakes, gear ratios, and engine - supercharger or turbo to handle all the extra weight. Oh, and not to forget, an aux fuel tank. Now you have a camper.

By the way, I chatted a bit with the owners of the cruiser with the pop top, side mounted solar panel and ladder pictured in post 16. I ran across them in Baja a while back. They, and their cruiser, are from Switzerland. It is diesel powered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom