Raising front fenders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a how to or in process pictures of raising the front fenders on a 40?

Raising the fenders like this:

IH8MUD™ Forums - View Single Post - 71-Cruiser ROTW
attachment.php

you could trim them, but that would be hard on the paint...gives and inch or better, I personally like the way it looks

I don't want to trim because of getting rid of the lip. It really weakens them. I suppose I could weld in something to reinforce it, but I'd rather raise the fenders like the picture above.

From the next photo in the post I don't think the wing has been altered much, just moved up and the side strip remade. Very neat job, next time I am in the workshop I will have to see how it would work.
DSC04630.jpg

You cut the top of the apron, bend a new lip on it and move the fender up the bib and body. There is a lot of work involved but in a nut shell, that is what you do.

I was looking at doing this on my rig but I instead went with tube fenders.

Thanks, I was actually thinking of cutting the bottom of the apron and trying to figure out how to bend a lip around that curve and make it look good. I never even thought of cutting the top. That should be much easier and will look much better.

I'd still like to know more details from someone who's done it.

or if you canot bend the lip just cut them in half and take out as much height as you want them weld them back up, like a tummy tuck.

or if you canot bend the lip just cut them in half and take out as much height as you want them weld them back up, like a tummy tuck.

that right there is a very slick idea! way easy and you maintain both your factory edges. i knew there was a reason i read this forum.

steve

Ok, you're talking about cutting a 2 inch strip out of the middle and butt welding it all back together. I'll have to run these ideas by the body man friend of mine that will be helping me.

Lets say I screw up real bad. What years of 40's have the same aprons? I have a '67. Are they all the same?

I just sectioned about 2 1/2" out of the middle of the skirt and butt welded it back together. I followed the angle of the back of the fender which moves the whole fender up and forward at a 45* angle. I also had to cut and paste the front corner to make it all flow together like it should. From the last pic you can see how muct it moved in relation to the factory holes.
DSC05699.JPG
DSC05700.JPG
DSC05703.JPG

i'm in the looooong process of this.

these are tubes out BTW, the left fender is cut and just sitting on top of the tubes
Picture 011.jpg

How big of a tire can a guy fit on an unlifted FJ40 if he raises the front fenders up like that and trims the rear body? 35's? :hmm:

I do like the Green Rig, Clean, but alot of work for just a few inches, and if you go all the way to the hood line it just dosent look "right" for some reason

Its alot less work to just remove them, I wont go back now!

More visibility and nothing to bash against rocks.. Its like a Free & Easy Dovetail in the front.. ;)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Isotel, I like the way that looks--I'd just be afraid of getting hassled by the cops for no fenders.

I didnt know that they had any laws in Arkansas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom