Raise your glasses! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cantinero

Yo soy un pirata!
Threads
Website
www.piratasoffroad.com
Did you know?

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the repeal of the 18th amendment to the constitution in the USA. On this day, April 7th 1933, the 21st amendment of the constitution went into effect, once again allowing people to consume alcohol legally in the USA.

:cheers:

Gotta wonder why this isn't a big national drunk day like St. Pattie's or Cinco de Mayo.

-Spike

Actually, that was December 5, 1933:cheers: (the 21st Ammendment to the constitution). Today is the 75th anniversary legalizing 3.2 beer:beer:, which was not believed to be strong enough to encourage lewed and lascivious:censor: behavior....:hmm:

I believe it was ratified by congress on Dec. 5th and actually went into law April 7th 1933.

Last edited:
:eek: I stand corrected... put your damn glasses down.

Beer historian Bob Skilnik has some strong thoughts on the topic, which he has posted online as he does from time to time in debunking other myths. Here's how he begins:

"December 5, 1933 notes a 'first' in constitutional history. It was on this day, 74 years ago, that American voters, through state referendums, added the 21st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. It was the first time in our history that a constitutional amendment was passed, not simply by the will of legislators, but instead through popular mandate, i.e., the power of the U.S. citizenry. For some of us, December 5, 1933 might even be remembered as the end of National Prohibition. Unfortunately, there are too many writers and trade organizations who should know this, but have chosen, instead to revise U.S. history for their own purposes, and if I might, usually for self-promoting ones.

"You might recall my rants back in April when organizations like the Brewers Association, the A&E network, Anheuser-Busch, with its pimping of 'The American Brew' an hour-long movie commissioned by the St. Louis brewery, and beer geek sites like Beeradvocate proclaimed April 7 as the day that Prohibition was 'repealed today in 1933.' The Jacksonville Business Journal went so far as to proclaim that 'The 21st amendment to the U.S. Constitution went into effect April 7, 1933 …' -- an amazing feat since the states hadn’t even gotten around to setting up constitutional referendums and state conventions to vote for delegates who would set the constitutional change into effect.

"They weren’t alone in repeating this historical inaccuracy, but the list of offenders would probably be longer than this entire blog entry. So once again, let me beat this dead horse of a canard one more time. The passages below are from my book 'Beer: A History of Brewing in Chicago,' and gives the perspective of events leading up to December 5, 1933 from a Windy City perspective. But throughout the story, the thread leading up to the end of Prohibition can be found."

Damn it! Here I thought wow, this makes for a cool Monday night out, since football is over that is, and now the wind has been taken out of my sails.:bang:

Any day is a good day for beer:beer::cheers:.

And then there's always "drowning your sorrows...:idea:"

Or we can simply celebrate the fact that we've survived one more Monday;).

Dudes... it's always a good time to drink. You two can get together and drink a few over a discusssion about the best excuses not to attend a totally rad wheeling event hosted by a fellow Toyota club that has come to look on us as brothers and not enemies as oh so many others might.

Dudes... it's always a good time to drink. You two can get together and drink a few over a discusssion about the best excuses not to attend a totally rad wheeling event hosted by a fellow Toyota club that has come to look on us as brothers and not enemies as oh so many others might.

Ouch! That hurt. Kicked again. I would much rather have been out there then hand tilling my front yard this past weekend.

BMAN it will be very soon, and I will be a staple on club runs. Just need to fix the X-FER case leak still. Between HJ60, Rhino, and I, we finally got the front axle back together a few weekends ago. She is locked and ready! So soon amigo, very soon. Who knows I might even have my SROR sliders by that time.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom