Rainman's Brake Lines (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The coolest thing happened today. I've gone over to the hot rod shop I worked at for a while and he's asked for me to put in some hours for him on one of the old Cameras he has. Needed a patient worker to install replacement door panels and dash. Sorry, but what crap. Nothing lined up so I had to improvise and drill new holes and bla bla. BUT!

I got there and Mike said, let's go down the street and look at a screw machine that's for sale. WHAT?

Check this out. I trying to do research and find out if I can get a tool for this to cut metric threads. It runs perfectly well. It's most likely from 1912. The electric motor was most likely added around 1930 or so. (I love old machinery.) It's a Garvin Screw Machine No. 1. This has a 51% chance I could start making my own brake line nuts Dammit!
IMG_0841.JPG

That's a Turret ring for automatic tool changing. It's really pretty slick for it's age.

IMG_0838.JPG

Last edited:
Well... dammitman........

Just got the news that the zinc plating will be done Monday instead of today. Cramp! I was looking forward to getting a full kit or two completed over the weekend. I've got a backorder pile that's really making me itch. Guys! I'm going to get to your kit as soon as humanly possible. I'll be putting in overtime all week to get these out. I promise as soon as I get the nuts here, I'll crank them out.

(pissnmoan)

CONFIRMED!

I will have 300 10mm nuts in my shop by this afternoon! Headed into Nashville for a lunch meeting and will bring them home.

May the kit building... BEGIN!!! (again) Kits should be beginning to ship out again in a few days. I'll post a teaser shot this afternoon.

@Rainman - Awesome Old machine pics! In the age of computerized everything it's refreshing to see the "technology" used 100+ years ago. things were built to last and the engineering that went into building quality tools was just amazing.

I hope you keep that thing running for another 100 years.

Well... I decided against buying it. I'd love to have that thing here forever but it just didn't make financial sense. One of the issues was to try and find (or make $$$) a metric thread cutter. I love antiques but it's not gonna happen... sigh...

"AND.... He's off!"
"Makin' copies........"
"They're heeeeerrrre...."
"What a beautiful sight."

(Appropriate movie or TV quotes for right about now.)

IMG_0868.jpg

It was a close one but the new shipment of tubing came in right as I ran out.

And by the way... I was shown an article out of an auto magazine complaining about the cheap quality of NiCop lines. It's one concern was the wall thickness of the tubing. They claimed it only had a .019 thickness and was not worthy of brake lines. .026 to .028 is the strong standard. That is EXACTLY what all my NiCop tubing measures. So just in case any of you read up and find any negative remarks about this tubing, the lousy versions is not getting into my shop.

Crankin' it!

IMG_0886.jpg

Last edited:
Just read through the thread, really impressive work on these brake lines, really enjoy the attention to detail.

Any interest in providing 60 series lines at any time?

Thanks. I try.

I'm hoping to have patterns for the 60s some time soon. I have a guy in Colorado that will send me the set but I'm just not sure when. AS soon as that happens and I've caught up with kit orders, I'll create a master set of patterns. I've done research and found they will be much easier to keep up with because the only changes are in the FJ62 with the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve. That will change 3 lines. So a total of 16 lines for all of them. Unlike the 40 series which has right at 60 different patterns for them all.

Last edited:
Thanks. I try.

I'm hoping to have patterns for the 60s some time soon. I have a guy in Colorado that will send me the set but I'm just not sure when. AS soon as that happens and I've bought up with kit orders, I'll create a master set of patterns. I've done research and found they will be much easier to keep up with because the only changes are in the FJ62 with the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve. That will change 3 lines. So a total of 16 lines for all of them. Unlike the 40 series which has right at 60 different patterns for them all.

Only line I can offer is the clutch hardline, I have a spare take off that I had planned to use as a template. If you have a need for it, I can provide anytime.

Hey, if you can spare it, I'll take it and put your name on it for future use. I don't need it right away. Unless someone starts banging my door down looking for one...

How long is it? If it's not that big, send it on. If it's one of those across the truck lines, just hang on to it for now.

Hey Rainman, are you planning on selling the brake nuts by themselves.....at this point I'm thinking of trying to bend my own lines, so I would be interested if you are. I think it's great you are taking this needed venue up!!

Thanks,
Paul

I can't afford to give any up yet. I may sell bundles of them when I get the ones I'm having made. I'll be buying them by the thousands. I bought what I have now from a large company and bought them out. I have to wait to get more and I'm sure I'll run out in a few weeks or so. It's been quite a ride the last few months.

Thanks for the props! Somebody had to step up and I need a job creating something for the next 10 or 15 years. Why not for the vehicle I love...

Okay guys, I need your help.

I have two chassis long lines here that are from the same (most likely) time frame. One is a certain 4/74 FJ40. The other is not determined but very close. The first shot is the front end. The second shot is the rear in the same (tying on the floor) angle. The third shot has the upper (4/74) line twisted top forward until the two match. They are way too close to each other to be from a changed line but they do have a couple of differences... WHY?!

Can someone ID the second line or the differences? Thanks.

IMG_0898-1.jpg

IMG_0899-1.jpg
IMG_0900-1.jpg

Better yet...

Anyone on here have a collection of original Land Cruisers that cover several of the 5 different brake line fazes? An Early thru 6/70, a 7/70 thru 8/71, a 9/71 thru 8/75, a 9/75 thru 7/80n and then a 8/80 thru 84? If so, do you mind if I come take a look and put a lot of this to bed for good? I have almost every line but every now and then something like the last post raises it's ugly head and it questions everything all over again.

I'd be willing to travel quite a way to get this covered.

You probably should contact the Landcruiser Heritage Museum here in Salt Lake City, UT. They have over 70 vehicles ranging from a 1952 first gen, 1958 FJ25, and all the way up to FJ40's and 200 series. Your work looks nice and hopefully in the near future I will be to the point where I need new breaklines on my restoration.

Not sure a place like that would want me fondling their trucks. Crawling under them and getting under the hood for an hour or so for 5 different trucks. Long day.
Thanks for the post though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom