Rainman's Brake Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$379.00 plus S&H. I have found a temp source for 10mm nuts! They aren't EXACTLY what I want but should work just as well. The only difference right now is that I don't have enough of them to get yellow cad plated. As soon as I find a source to supply me with say... 1000 nuts, I'll get them all plated. Right now, I've received a test set of 50 nuts. That's covered two small orders and will cover yours if you want it. The nuts are plated but still silver. Same exact coverage just not the color I like to use on my lines. (9mm or early kits get silver just to keep the two sizes from getting mixed up.) I have contacted the company to see if they will sell me larger quantities and asked if there is a price break. It hasn't been 24hrs yet so they've got some time but I'm a bit desperate for these.

So @Fernan94LsTeg , if you'd like a kit, PM me and we'll get this started.

BIG NEWS!!

I've found 10mm nuts that I believe will work perfectly. Not the exact specs I want but I've filled a few orders with them so far and nothing to report that they're any problem. If so, of course, I will replace any line that doesn't work free of charge.

I'm constantly trying to find any improvements possible. So if I can get the nuts I would prefer, I'll let you know and order as many as I possible can. The current nuts have a limited order quantity that I'm not pleased with. I've contacted the source company and have not heard back yet. I hope it's just a long holiday for them.

(update)
It's slipped right past me in the excitement of actually finding a new source. My blindness in the relief failed to show me the 1mm difference in the hex. They're 7/16. WHY??!!

So now I've got a feeler in California trying to get me quotes on manufacturing EXACTLY what I need.

Last edited:
Will the 10mm nuts be avail for the guys building or repairing their brakes? Thanks Mike

Will the 10mm nuts be avail for the guys building or repairing their brakes? Thanks Mike

I don't sell hardware. I sell brake lines ready to install.

Just so you'll know, I've just added another person hunting down a source for me. I have no idea how many that makes now but I do know that's several locally in Tennessee, now in California, and over seas. I'll get these nuts made one way or another and as God is my witness, I'll never be without line nuts again!"

...something like that is a movie quote...

Alright. It's been 4 months under mud and water and deep freezes. I consider this an extreme case since I don't see anyone burying their truck in mud 3 feet deep for 4 months. I've checked on these several times over the 4 month period but the last two months have made a noticeable change until no change at the end. So I've decided it's time to reveal the findings. (Only one surprise.)

As you can see below, I've listed each line as to what it is. I only offer the top line. NiCopp. I will state my findings as a list:

NiCopp - Even though it has changed, I'm pleased with the outcome. It has changed color but has no tangible difference. It's still very smooth and shiny. The deep section is a very dark brown. Smooth and even color.

Galvanized Steel - The texture is rough all over and it has darkened quite a bit. The dirt isn't easily rubbed off. No rust that I can find.

Stainless Steel - Just as suspected. No difference at all. (I don't make lines with this because it it so hard to deal with.)

Poly Coated Steel - Same here. No difference.

I stand behind the NiCopp for several reasons. It's great to work with. It will never corrode, (turns dark if you bury it), and is easier to install.

Corrosion test.jpg
4 months.jpg

I might wish this fiasco on my worst enemy but no one else. The nuts I found at small quantities?.. I found the source and could get more but it turns out the nuts had a 7/16th hex on them. (crap) Since then, I've gotten in touch with at least a dozen companies:
Two with discontinued numbers.
One that wants a minimum order of 100,000.
Only one that gave me a price... $4.85 each!
One that worked with me through name emails until I asked for a price and they evaporated. Wha..?
Several more that after a short conversation said, "We can't make those."
I'm in connection with a company in China.
About to be in connection with another one in China.
Expecting a call from one in Arkansas today. "You won't like my price." (Gee, thanks...)
Waiting on more info from one in East Tennessee.
And one in California that has all the info but won't send a quote.
OH! And my original supplier began work with China to make the 9m nuts for me 3 months ago. I'll call again today...

All that to say, I may have some soon. It may take a while. I just wish I had a clue.

HUGE NEWS!!!

I just got off the phone... (chapter 1)
My original supplier has about 100 9mm nuts exactly like I want! Anyone who needs early lines... I'll have those in a few days.
He's going to order all new 9mm and 10mm nuts to my specs today from China. (that's where almost every nut has come from anyway.)
Unfortunately, that may take 10 weeks. DAMN! When... will... this... ennnndddd?

Last edited:
I just got off the phone again... (chapter 2)
A company here in TN just called me back and said my size order is right in their wheelhouse. I've sent them the specs and details for both and was told they will be able to quote within two days. I'm not sure they'll compete with China but local AND fast is worth a lot! He was speaking my language the whole conversation. (just maybe!!!)

Just know that all of us really appreciate the trouble you are going through! Even though many of us don't use the early nuts that you are trying to source, this (along with your brake lines) speaks volumes about the quality service you give! Thank you, sir!

Thank you Skip. I appreciate that. It helps right about now.

Just got off the phone again... (chapter 3)
Confirmation! I will either have a price today or Monday for nut being able to be manufactured... for me... by my specs... out of stainless steel... Yellow... I don't have a "made by" date yet as they were still rounding up metric bar stock. This is from Arkansas. Stand by!
China also responded with costs and shipping prices. Great price but not the best turn around. So far it's either - 10 weeks, or 20-25 days, and whatever Arkansas says. I'm guessing faster by the way they sound...
I should have enough 9mm nuts to make several full early kits by next week!!!

Things are looking up!

Last edited:
Aaaand Chapter 4
It's becoming painfully clear that it's not just me that having a problem with finding these nuts. It's all over. The issue is apparently clear that almost on one is making metric bar stock to cut these from. And that in turn is running the cost up. And so that's why the newer 10mm nuts all have the 7/16th hex on them. It's all to save money. So I could get nut from China made for a very similar cost to what it was; I could possibly get nut made here more quickly but with a higher cost. China is about to have their New Year and the entire country closes down. I have no idea for how long. One estimate os that new nuts will take 10 weeks. OUCH! another guess is 20-25 days but that's from a Chinaman. I don't know if that's correct or just "what he thinks I want to hear." My US guy is still working on it. I'm trying to weigh the costs of some from this guy to tide me over and then this guy... But I'm also trying to get these done as quickly as humanly possible.

I could start these kit orders in about 1 week with one solution. PLEASE chime in on what you prefer:
I can get as many as I want (well a few hundred) of the 7/16" hex 10mm nuts in about a week. Would you rather use a different tool to install them sooner or wait a while for the metric hex nuts? That's what this all boils down too.

That's the pulse check.

Last edited:
Chapter 5!
I got a surprise the morning with a call from one of the machine shops I called. I thought it was a dead end but they said they had samples for me to come look at. (WHAT? Actual metric nuts to my specs? Really?) I'll be down in a hour.

(an hour later...) I walked in. I saw the nuts. Looked great...
"How much are we talking?"
"$12 each, and here's a bill for the samples." ($220.00)
"That's no where near what I can afford. (1400% too much) And id I ask for samples?"
"No."
"I'm not paying for them then."

His attitude towards me changed in an instant. That's okay, we won't be crossing paths again.

California's estimate came today too. $6/ea.

......come oooonnnnn Arkansas!!!

China is trying very hard to get my business. I just don't like the delay from such a long distance.

Last edited:
I can make one for you. I'm going to guess your front lines and the rear axle lines are the same as a '67 FJ40 and the chassis line is the only change. If you can help me prove that, I''l be glad to make it for you. I hope to have early line nuts soon but you're in a short line of early trucks to make. If you could take a shot of the front end of the chassis line and the back end and PM them to me, I'll see if we're close.

EXECUTIVE DECISION: Please respond here and let me know if you'd rather wait or use what's available now...please.

Cruiser buddies,

It has become painfully real to know that I've had to make a hard decision. It's not a big deal, it's just that my perfectionism side has had to give in a tad. I had made the decision to order the 10mm brake line nuts that have the 7/16th hex on them. The only difference it makes is the tool with which you install them. They are the right size, length, step on the end, and even yellow Cad plated. Basically undetectable without the line wrench. HOWEVER! This is a temporary fix. It will last about 3 months. China is closed from tomorrow until February 26th. That means the metric m9 and m10 nuts with 10mm hexes on them will be here by the bucket the first part of May. I can't say the exact date.

BIG NEWS:
In the next month or so, I should be adding FJ60/62 brake lines to my patterns. My plan is to add Mini Trucks to the line up later this year. I also my have early FJ45s covered soon. 2018 has received lots of prophecies to be a big and productive new year and if I can make the previous two sentences happen it will surely help.

I will be able to begin filling the early Cruiser orders here in the next couple of days!

Rainey, I hope I'm not speaking out of line here but the 7/16 wrench would seem to only be an issue for a perfectionist or a gold class restoration. I hope I wouldn't have to worry about taking my brake lines apart often enough to make grabbing a 7/16 wrench rather than 10mm a problem (besides, aren't all 10mm sockets and wrenches always lost?!) .

BTW, I plan to have my intact 7/74 F2R line shipping your way early next week when I get back in town.

Keep up the good work!

Mason

You’re not out of line. Thanks for the response. Plan A round of nuts, both sizes, are on the way. Early 9mm ones will get here first.

Plan B is the correct nuts by the barrel in a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom