Rainman's Brake Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Rainman, your lines look great and I'm going to need new lines soon (1972 model). If you need donor lines or pictures of lines you don't have, let me know.

Hi Rainman, your lines look great and I'm going to need new lines soon (1972 model). If you need donor lines or pictures of lines you don't have, let me know.

I’m in need of 4 lines to complete full sets for all years of FJ40s.

A) I have a F2R 7/70-8/71 (that’s the line from the master cylinder across the firewall to the rear brakes.) But I’m willing to bet all those bends along the firewall aren’t needed. I’d like to simplify it but don’t know exactly where I can. I need some good shots of the route it takes along the firewall to determine that.

B) Same here. F2R 9/71-8/75. Same line for the specified dates. This could very well be the same as the first one I mentioned but I don’t know that. Shots of this line would be handy too. ( @cruiserclaude72 )

Note: I’m under the assumption that the “6th cylinder well” in the firewall is basically the exact same for all years. I wish I could prove that but the F2R line I have from an 11/70 makes it look a bit wider than a later model. Again photos and maybe measurements would help prove it one way or they other.

C&D) Both Firewall lines for the 8/80 and up FJ40s. It may be exclusively different around the MC. I think (again) that the rest of the line all the way to the frame should be the same as the 9/75-7/80 lines.

A handful of Mud members have helped a great deal in my research and I’m very grateful. Thanks in advance to those who may help with these last 4 lines.

Expanding my work space in the shop. Here's a shot of (almost) all the pattern lines for the FJ40s.

IMG_0551.JPG

Any updates ?

Nothing concrete yet Spike but I've got two companies looking into having 9mm fittings made because nobody is making them anymore. I've mentioned that I have a customer waiting but that's only helping a little bit. I was planning to update you on Monday in case there was information. I'm not counting on it at this point but hope we have a solution in the next week or two.

The only thing that makes me feel any better is that NOBODY has the 9mm nuts. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hey Rainey, are you going to start offering kits with those cool new line mounts you found (I won't mention them in case you don't want people begging you for them)? I think you should. I also think you should try to source a full set of OEM-type (or actual OEM if they still exist) mounts for the purists out there.

The original ones are thin, and prone to damage, rust and loss when doing restoration work. You could also offer kits with the proportioning valves included.... Just suggesting, and giving you topics to talk about here to continue to garner interest in your fantastic work.

Vae

As a matter of fact, I've just ordered 6 sets of them over the weekend. I plan to do a blurb about them after I get a chance to install them locally on a Cruiser. Yours comes to mind. I'll discuss options and costs for adding them to my kits. Should be well worth the minimal cost.

Research never seems to end for me. Not that it's a problem. It's what makes this worth my time. I do love a challenge.

Think: Long brake line on the front axle housing. Or, FAL. Here are two photos of Toyota lines that I think are flawed. Why put the line in the way of service to the front (or rear for that matter) differential? That leaves the decision of either, bend the line out of the way and potentially damage it, or remove the line for service and have to reinstall and then bleed the entire brake system... WHY NOT JUST simply make the line path out of the way? Enter: Rainman's Brake Lines.

Here are two shots of front axle lines that I would like a survey on. I believe, based on the on line diagrams most of know about, the first line is for 9/71 thru 8/75. Anyone with a 9/71 or 8/75 FJ40 able to prove that wrong? I'm having trouble identifying the time frame for the second image. This line is basically bent on a single plain. In other words, it lays flat on the table. Can someone recognize that line as one just like their Cruiser's front line? If so, what build date is your truck?

One more thing. The driver's side end of those two lines are exactly the same on my samples except... The small dog leg double bend a few inches from the end go horizontally backwards on the first one and vertically upward on the second one. If that is correct, it's the only difference in my new patterns.

I hope some of you can help with this. I would greatly appreciate it.

IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG

Last edited:
Do you make the fuel line that comes from under the passenger rear wheel well that attaches to the fuel separator from underneath on a 1978 Fj40?
I'm ready to give you my money if you do!
Thanks.

I've made a few fuel lines but also have been advised not to make line that are part of the emissions system. Some laws are very sticky when it comes to that and if the truck was ever inspected by emissions rule, it could mean big trouble. S I'm trying to stay away from that. I hope you can appreciate that. Sorry. If something changes, I'll let everyone know.

Latest addition!

I am now offering the best and most convenient, easiest to install, and no tools after installed brake line fasteners I've ever seen. That is a busted sentence but...

I'm still trying to get the low cost lower but for about $20 or less, I will add a set (of 6) of these fasteners to your kit. If you only want a front axle set, I'll sell you one. I still need to science those kind of details out but I wanted to show these off. The shots are from @Vae Victus's SMOKEY. They're called Notch Heads. They snap fit (very snugly) which hides the mounting screw under the line. They come with a self tapping screw and are a breeze to install. I'm also working on finding the best places to install them.

IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0642.jpg
IMG_0640.jpg

AND. By the way, they work perfectly with unions. No onions, unions. They're the perfect hight to leave the union just about a 32nd of an inch above the surface.

IMG_E0615.jpg

This has been a frustrating few weeks.

My supplier of brake line nuts has had trouble finding the same nuts I used to use... Wha..?

It's looking like the 9mm nuts are no longer made by anyone. He is now waiting for news from China or wherever for when he will receive the first shipment of 9mm nuts that he has ordered per my requirements.
The 10mm nuts all now have either 7/16 or 11mm hexes on them. I could use them but want you all to be able to use the same tools for removing the old and installing the new. Dad gum it!!

I have also started conversations with a local company to make both versions for me. Unfortunately, his quick and repeated emails ended when I asked for a minimum quantity quote and price. Wha..? This is after the first company quickly volunteered the answer of, "Minimum order is 100,000 units." Um... No thanks. Unless they're .02 cents a piece.

I AM WORKING ON IT AS FAST AS I CAN!!

Pulse check...

Still beating!

Yet another company in the northeast is now in the running for being my hero. I'm hoping by mid week to have estimates for both sized nuts to be produced here in the USA. If it's good I'll be ordering as any as I can afford so supply will last for months to years rather than weeks to months.

I’ve got a new supplier sending me samples of 10mm nuts. They where shipped today. If they’re good, I’ll be ordering hundreds of them. The 9mm nuts may be available from over seas in January. Only God knows that one though. I’m also still chasing down other options to make sure I’m covered. I hope to have everything I need by January 1 to make all the lines I need for 7/70 and up. I wish I could’ve prevented this nightmare but it was all beyond my power. I still can’t figure out exactly what happened.

It's Putin's fault.

Samples are here! Not one of them is exactly what I'd create but I'm headed over to Vae Victus' place later to check and see which one will work. If I find it, I'll be ordering a ton of them. We're having our monthly-ish gathering of Cruiser heads from the area. Most of us are on IH8MUD.
Let's see:
Rainman, @Vae Victus, @oldschool4wheeling, @adistler1. And Roger...The others can't make it.

OKay. First things first. I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving and Christmas! We spent our Christmas in Seattle and managed to experience the greatest white Christmas Seattle has seen in many years. It was gorgeous.
FullSizeRender.jpg

That's the view right out in front of our AirBnB place on Christmas morning. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Back to business.
I'm now dealing with potential supplier no. 7. I've placed an order that should be here by the end of the first week in January. I've boiled this down to, "If I can just get close to what I need, I'll just take them over to the shop where I worked and borrow the metal lathe and machine the end I need one nut at a time." I'm making sure that whatever I end up with will NOT change the cost of any of the lines I make. I promise that.

Have a safe new year's eve and I'll have a new report after you've all recovered from your hangover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom