Rain water leak into front doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys. Living in the bay area,ca it's been pissing down with rain.
I found a paddle in my fj80 in the front driver and passenger floor.
I found where the leak is coming from. Rain hits the side windows runs down in to the door and drips on to the floor.
The question is what part do I need to replace Door Belt Molding set or could it be something else. ?? Thanks guy hope you lot having a good week

hey guys. Living in the bay area,ca it's been pissing down with rain.
I found a paddle in my fj80 in the front driver and passenger floor.
I found where the leak is coming from. Rain hits the side windows runs down in to the door and drips on to the floor.
The question is what part do I need to replace Door Belt Molding set or could it be something else. ?? Thanks guy hope you lot having a good week
(I’m a new 80 owner so take this with a grain of salt). I’m replacing all of my window belts because they’re sun-baked and the black rubber is cracking and peeling. Not sure if the front windows would be candidates for leaking due to the belts whereas on the rear quarters, that seems to be a popular leak spot.

One place on mine where there appears to have been a leak in the past is where the side mirrors mount. The previous owner had used some sort of sealant around the edges of the black plastic triangular plate that covers the mounting bolts near the bottom of the A pillar. I can see some staining on the door panel where I assume there was water intrusion at one time. I’m going to loosen the mirror mounting bolts and apply some silicone sealant around those holes, inside and out, then reseat the bolts. Anyway, that’s just an idea to explore.

Also look closely at your weatherstripping on the doors. There could be a crack or split that’s hard to see Unless you go over the entire weatherstripping with an eagle eye. Could be water is getting past a weak spot in the rubber.

Back to the window belt moldings, your part numbers are:

75710-60021 (right front)
75730-60020 (right rear)
75710-60021 (right quarter)
75720-60021 (left front)
75740-60020 (left rear)
75670-60020 (left quarter)

Last edited:
Common areas to check for water leaking onto the front floor:

Windshield: if it's ever been replaced there is a fair chance it wasn't sealed
correctly. If it doesn't say TOYOTA on the lower corner, it's been replaced.

Door vapor barriers: if the door cards/panels have ever been taken off
to work on the doors very often the vapor barrier is not sealed back up
before the door panels are put back on. Water normally trickles into the door cavity and out the drain slots at the bottom (even with new belt molding) but it can leak behind the door card and onto the floor if the vapor barrier it not intact.

Sunroof: the drain pan for the sunroof is very shallow, and all sunroofs leak some amount of water (worse in a 25 year old vehicle) but when there is a very heavy rain the water may not be able to drain out of the pan quick enough so it can overflow the drain pan (up above the headliner) then flow down the pillars. This is made worse if the drain tubes are clogged or if the vehicle is parked either nose up, nose down, or tilted to one side or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom