Rain pools on bikini... solution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like ma

Looks like maybe one version for "out in the wild" with a tennis or nerf ball that is more portable and another, with a larger ball, for home use.
Or just use a smallish blow up ball. Pretty sure there's a joke in there somewhere.....

How about the wood bows they use to hold up boat covers? Leave the small fittings mounted in place, and snap in the bow or bows when needed. They’re made to do exactly what you’re trying to do.

Park on a slope.

what?

Fiberglass tent poles. They are available at big box outdoor stores, fit together with cord and bend. Some strategically placed pegs/ring like tents use in the corners. Easily stored in the rig and always at the ready.

Why not put some 2” pipe insulation over the center bars. That may add enough slope from the center.
I tried that with the pool noodle. It creates a void between the two, if you're talking about the front to back center braces. One pool noodle over the main cross bar above the driver's head isn't quite enough.

The idea of fiberglass snow stakes popped into my head, though not sure how you'd secure them to the cage.
Slight thread derailment-
I don’t have the pooling problem- I live in a fairly arid environment. I wonder if the snow/tent poles would help with the flapping on the family cage. Most days I don’t mind it, but occasionally it’d be nice hear myself think at 60mph. This also seems like a simple solution to the pooling issue, possibly permanently mounting them. I’ve also considered a rigid “bikini”, but metal is to expensive right now.

Slight thread derailment-
I don’t have the pooling problem- I live in a fairly arid environment. I wonder if the snow/tent poles would help with the flapping on the family cage. Most days I don’t mind it, but occasionally it’d be nice hear myself think at 60mph. This also seems like a simple solution to the pooling issue, possibly permanently mounting them. I’ve also considered a rigid “bikini”, but metal is to expensive right now.
You could likely sew some small pockets into the bikini top that would accept an end of the snow / tent stake. If the pockets were spaced such that the pole had a bit of spring / tension to it, I wonder if they would act like ribs and add just enough structure to prevent so much flapping? That may be an better use for them than for my original suggestion to @woytovich.

haha, also must not be a 40 owner talking about driving fast lol:rofl:

With my last motor, 4.10s, and 31s it would spin in first & second… possibly even third if I tried to pull away too fast (and that’s with 2400 lbs over the rear axle. It was just a $300 runner I picked up to get it roadworthy.

The current one is slightly more tame. Especially with 3.70s & 33s it’s a little more refined.

I’m not into beating on it or abusing it. It happened a couple times. The first being when I pulled away after replacing the cam with 11 lobes with one that had 16. Strangely enough 3 extra cylinders and a four barrel carb really woke up the Sept ‘69 V8.

I’ve had lots of guys tell me I could get way more power out of it… but why? What matters is what it’ll do at 500-600 rpm. If it keeps chugging along or dies. Who cares about peak hp or what it’ll do at 5000 rpm.

Bringing the thread back to @woytovich original point - finally rained here today and pool over the front seats!!
Anyway, I bought some driveway polls the other day. Next I’ll try and swindle my friend into sewing some pockets on the top. I’ll post when I get it finished

I went the high tech route to prevent water from pooling on my soft top.
I cut a section of 3/4" pvc pipe to length so that it pitched the centwr of the top like a tent.I wedge the pipe between the top and the tub floor.For added protection I taped a rag to the end of the pipe that sits against the top.The pipe lays behind the rear jump seat when not in use.

Boat tarp bows
I went the high tech route to prevent water from pooling on my soft top.
I cut a section of 3/4" pvc pipe to length so that it pitched the centwr of the top like a tent.I wedge the pipe between the top and the tub floor.For added protection I taped a rag to the end of the pipe that sits against the top.The pipe lays behind the rear jump seat when not in use.
Pushing up on a trail cover or bikini or...?

I lived on a sailboat for awhile. We had the same issue. We just got some 1" wide aluminum bar stock that was maybe 1/8" thick (I can't recall the thickness exactly), but it's pliable enough to bend by hand, strong enough to hold the top up in weather & wind, won't deteriorate, and easily cut to your exact custom length as needed.

Sew the pockets in the cover, insert the bows and go.

Boat tarp bows

Pushing up on a trail cover or bikini or...?
I have an FST .I use the pipe to push up on the center of my soft top.I also use it when i have a bimini top on.It will work for any soft top,bikini,trail cover,etc.You just need to create a slope to allow water to run off instead of pooling.Keep it simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom