Rain Gutter Trim question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone here have trouble installing new rain gutter trim?
I bought a new set and it is almost impossible to get it to seat into the raised roof gutter metal.
Some areas I can get seated and other areas are impossible….

How was the gutter molding delivered to you, ie: was each side in it's own separate ~10' long box? How did you pick it up to mount it, by yourself?

I just put used piece on to my 95, started at the front while holding up the back and pressed it on

OK, so not new moldings?

IME the drip rail molding should be handled by two people as it is so long and thin (stamped steel) it will bend under it's own weight. And if it bends or kinks it may not snap onto/over the drip rail.

So either when it was removed, transported, stored, or reinstalled it could have gotten damaged. This is why, IMO, Toyota ships it from Japan in a 10 foot long box, a separate box for each side. Then (at least) two people remove it from the box when it's being installed, one or two hold it up while one person snaps it into place.

Any damage to your drip rails, previous clamp-style roof racks installed??

Can you post up a photo of the molding laying on the ground/pavement and some close up photos of the areas (steel side) that won't snap onto the drip rail?

Last edited:
It's steel ? Really ? I would swear mine has some chips broken out of it, I thought it was plastic. One thing I haven't replaced yet.

Interesting,

Jason

Yes, thin stamped steel coated in rubber on the outer side, just like the belt moldings at the top of the doors (US models). AFAIK some markets outside the US got chrome moldings with just a thin border of rubber (like the 60/62 series in the US).

Last edited:
Yes the ones I bought were brand new. It is possible they may have been bent and we tried to install with only one person.

Curious, did you get the moldings from your local dealer, and did they arrive
in a 10 foot long box, one box, one piece for each side?

Did you or anyone remove them from the box ie: for transport?

IME they take up the entire length of the vehicle, lay one end on top of the passenger side dash then diagnonally across to the rear hatch with the seats lowered and the box just barely fits.

When I replaced mine some spots were a bear to seat. I gently used a rubber mallet on those spots but all eventually snugged on.

Curious, did you get the moldings from your local dealer, and did they arrive
in a 10 foot long box, one box, one piece for each side?

Did you or anyone remove them from the box ie: for transport?

IME they take up the entire length of the vehicle, lay one end on top of the passenger side dash then diagnonally across to the rear hatch with the seats lowered and the box just barely fits.
They arrived both in one long box. I believe we unboxed it at the dealership and put it in my double cab Tacoma from the dash, out the sliding glass window.
Maybe that process bent them to where they don’t fit anymore

Part numbers? Mine are so old they’ve chipped and spiky bits catch the sponge I wash my cruiser with. I’ve also seen that others like the look without, but I don’t have photos to prove how they look (mine is emerald green, in case anyone would like to share.)

The used one I put on my wife’s was not even close to being straight I believed I just started near the front put the top in place and just rolled down the bottom, then worked my way back, piping it with my palm where it was stubborn. Same way to take them off.
I have a new one as well it is perfectly straight. I’ll post couple pics and p/n.
You just have to be patient once it starts pretty easy

Here is p/n for driver and my used one compared to new. I was able to put my other used on with little effort and it was same shape.
pass side is 75551-60020
1699CFF9-DEF9-46A5-8157-B27DDA5B2631.jpeg
AE26FFC5-2D5C-41DB-9956-C22119ABC36D.jpeg

Has anyone refurbished these with some type of black rubber coating?

I haven't but may be difficult IMHO to get it the correct thickness. Something like Plastidip may be too thick and then the molding might not fit over and snap onto the drip rail?? Worth a try maybe. Let us know if you try it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I missed post #13 above when it was originally written; the photos show how a new drip rail molding (in the bag) is straight (except for the A pillar section and at the very end by the hatch which are formed sections). The S curved of the used molding is typical of what happens when anyone tries to move one of these by themselves.

FWIW, I have four new drip rail moldings that are bent like in the photo above, and two others that are straight. The dealership parts dept was frustrated themselves as they tried asking the warehouse (SET) to not take them out of their original boxes before shipping them, but no luck.

Last edited:
can you still get the trim? i've looked up the part numbers on a couple occasions and it showed as discontinued. but your experience leads me to believe the juice isn't worth the squeeze

my drivers side trim is unattached right at the a-pillar bend. i can't get it over the lip to "clip" it in. only way i see being successful is removing the whole thing from the a-pillar back, but that risks further damage. my trim does have marks from prior clamp on load bars, and i have gamiviti clamps holding my front runner rack on

with all that, i'm leaning towards removing the whole thing...permanently. it does look like the front leading edge has rubbed the paint off where it rests against the fender, but that would give me a chance to touch it up.

There might be something that could be glued to the drip rail but that might not last very long.

IMHO at that point the better route might be to just toss the molding and either paint the drip rails satin black or spray Plastidip on the rails (if you wanted the original look).

Someone asked if they're discontinued, IDK, but no online source will sell them due to shipping costs. My local dealer said they weren't going to order any more because their own warehouse kept sending them bent moldings.

I once tried ordering the drip rail moldings (all chrome type) from Partsouq but they came back and said shipping would be too high so canceled the order. The box for each piece is about 10'(feet long) x 18" x6". There is however a lot of room in the box, a pair of moldings could easily fit in one box with some padding material IF the other molding was handled carefully when removed from it's own box.

But then for a shipment from Dubai they would likely then have to build a plywood box to fit the cardboard box into. So maybe ?? $300-500 to ship $75 worth of parts.

FWIW

Last edited:
can you still get the trim? i've looked up the part numbers on a couple occasions and it showed as discontinued. but your experience leads me to believe the juice isn't worth the squeeze

my drivers side trim is unattached right at the a-pillar bend. i can't get it over the lip to "clip" it in. only way i see being successful is removing the whole thing from the a-pillar back, but that risks further damage. my trim does have marks from prior clamp on load bars, and i have gamiviti clamps holding my front runner rack on

with all that, i'm leaning towards removing the whole thing...permanently. it does look like the front leading edge has rubbed the paint off where it rests against the fender, but that would give me a chance to touch it up.
I ordered mine from a local Toyota dealer parts department less than a year ago. By picking them up at the dealer I didn’t have to pay shipping. And, if they had been damaged in freight, that would’ve been on the dealership to rectify. Fortunately they were in good shape when I got them, and installation by myself wasn’t hard at all.

The painted gutters underneath the original trim was pretty scuffed up so I’m glad I replaced the trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom