Rain gutter sealing solutions??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Removed the caulk off my A pillars today. Found the beginnings of some rust imagine that; which leads me to feeling like doing the whole roof.
Tricks are:
1. Heat gun-turns old hard florida sun baked caulk to the consistency of chewing gum.
2. Pick tools-as previously mentioned, work great. I have a particularly sharp one, and gouged my sheet metal many times.

Game plan is to:
1. Remove old stuff
2. Wire wheel to bare metal
3. Sandblast
4. aerosol acid-etch prime
5. sealer
6. Base/clear

I am removing the old sealant with the "screwdriver chip away, small pick detail follow-up and and wire wheel method". The old stuff was in there pretty tight in most spots but I had a few small rust bubbles near the gutter and since I am repainting the truck it's time to do it right. Has anyone used this product for seam seal replacement?
3M Seam Sealer.jpg

I am removing the old sealant with the "screwdriver chip away, small pick detail follow-up and and wire wheel method". The old stuff was in there pretty tight in most spots but I had a few small rust bubbles near the gutter and since I am repainting the truck it's time to do it right. Has anyone used this product for seam seal replacement?

I'd be careful with a wire wheel unless your painting it again.

I used a paint remover wheel. They're made of like a hard spongy material, almost purplish/brown in color. It worked great and removed only the caulk and hardly any of the paint.

so.. as mine drips as well..
The gutters are welded to the body and they seperate over time?
Or they are sealed and they seperate over time..
Or a third option?
Here it rains almost daily it seems.. so I do not want to dig away to find out when you knowedgable people can advise me..
Plus.. I will probably have to order a special sealant.. which is not available here..
Thanks
Todd

In that last photo with the cracks in the old caulking there is a join in the roof underneath,thats why they leak there when the caulk fails.
For the tight area around the a pillar i just used a couple of paddle pop sticks trimmed to size to put pressure on the sealant into the join, i did end up with a bit more then originally was in there but it won't leak.Soak the paddle pop stick in turps or whatever it states for cleanup on the sealant .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom