Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my radio stopped playing Cd's. No idea why. As much as I love the stock 6-cd in dash..

its driving me nuts. Any suggestions? (find another stock radio? ) or should i ditch it for an aftermarket head unit ?

From what I can tell, that is a known problem for the factory head units. I only had a single cd unit though. For the amount you spend on a refurbed stock unit, you might as well get an aftermarket unit with lots of extras. Of course it won't be an indash six disc. :rolleyes:
You will need a wiring harness to get an aftermarket unit to work with the factory amp, though. The harness is only $15 with shipping.

Stock radios suck. Plenty of choices if you want multi CD functionality.

Some (including myself) have purchased the Eclipse units with the 5v output. This signal into the stock amp does pretty well. Upgrading the speakers will do even more. These have NOT been the multi disc changers.

Just had the laser in my stock single disc head unit realigned. I will put that bad boy back in tonight. I currently have a aftermarket single din alpine that is coming out.

If I had the cash, I would go with a pioneer avic-d1, kenwood ddx7015 or eclipse avn2454 or avn5434. Pioneer can not play regular dvd's just nav dvd from pioneer. All have the option of a rear back up camera. Eclipse has nav and can play real dvds. Most are xm or sirius ready, tv ready, some have rca jacks so you can hook up your video to them to view video. etc. They need to add bluetooth to these offerings.

uzj100

I don't play CD's anymore. I bought an adapter (TOY-AUX by PIE) that plugs into where the CD changer would plug on my ''99 head unit and I play my 20GB MP3 player through it. Now, I have every song I own at the tip of my fingers. Much easier than fumbling with discs. Costs about $65 and takes 5 mins. to install.

Which 20gb mp3 player do you have?

Tell us more about this setup. It hooks up to the back of the stock head unit. 5 minutes to install, do you have to remove the stock head unit to hook it up?

uzj100

My '99 facto cd ended the same way...except for the fact that it would play most cd's once...but not again...bizarre.

So, my radio stopped playing Cd's. No idea why. As much as I love the stock 6-cd in dash..

*Usualy* when the factory cd player goes bad it'll display some kind of error(ex:error code 3 etc...) Can usualy determine what is wrong by that.. it might be different fromt the Toyota and Lexus Units.... I myself am looking at going to the I-pod for the stereo. Did try that I-trip but didnt like it at all. Looking at the hard wire setup now. Dust and radios just dont mix. If I remember correctly, a out of warranty exchange unit is somewhere around 4-500$$$..

uzj100 said:
Which 20gb mp3 player do you have?

Tell us more about this setup. It hooks up to the back of the stock head unit. 5 minutes to install, do you have to remove the stock head unit to hook it up?

uzj100

I bought the Dell Jukebox, price was right. I think the IPods are better, but I paid about $200 from Dell when they were having a sale for this one.

Here's a link to the adapter I bought:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/pietoyaux.html

Simply plugs into te 13 pin cd changer port. Once installed, you hit the CD button and plug your source into the RCA's and you're set. The only issue I have is that it will switch to the Radio when the lights come on which I'm guessing is due to a drop in current.

WRT the 5 minute install, if you've ever pulled the head from your LC you would know that it's pretty easy. Pull the center console bezel with the climate controls and there's 4 bolts holding the head in. I routed the cable for the input along the drivers side center console, I have a remote for the MP3 player so it stays in the center cosole. I'd like to rig a way to have it visible while I'm playing it, so I could see the screen, but I haven't taken the time yet.

the codes and how to read them are in the FSM..........I read mine both times it (6 disc in dash)went tits up.........it said "toss this POS and get a nice Eclipse" :D which I did and am VERY happy

bh4rnnr said:
*Usualy* when the factory cd player goes bad it'll display some kind of error(ex:error code 3 etc...) Can usualy determine what is wrong by that.. it might be different fromt the Toyota and Lexus Units.... I myself am looking at going to the I-pod for the stereo. Did try that I-trip but didnt like it at all. Looking at the hard wire setup now. Dust and radios just dont mix. If I remember correctly, a out of warranty exchange unit is somewhere around 4-500$$$..

Be carefull when installing a new aftermarket head unit. I'm STILL not able to find a harness that works. Some users have sworn they are using such and such a harness, but I don't see how. The factory decks must be different for each year of Cruiser.

The link below shows what I've found to be a harness that I could use, but when ordered, I'm shipped a standard metra 70-8113 harness that I've tried before. :(

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1133

It looks like I'll be cutting and splicing wires, as much as I'd hate to. Maybe I'll make my own harness with Molex connectors to at least make reattaching the stock harness possible.

FWIW, I picked up an alpine 9855.

The harness I have on my alpine cda 9825 is really strange. I will take some pics because it is hard to explain. Looking at the back of the alpine, the alpine has a set of jacks on the right. There are cables plugged in there that are wired into the aftermarket harness. The wires on the back left go no where. This seems strange to me. I removed this alpine last night and have it for sale for $50 with the harness. Do you need the harness? I guess I could remove it and sell it to you.

The harness looks like the one in your link.

Let me know.

uzj100

aljordan said:
Be carefull when installing a new aftermarket head unit. I'm STILL not able to find a harness that works. Some users have sworn they are using such and such a harness, but I don't see how. The factory decks must be different for each year of Cruiser.

The link below shows what I've found to be a harness that I could use, but when ordered, I'm shipped a standard metra 70-8113 harness that I've tried before. :(

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1133

It looks like I'll be cutting and splicing wires, as much as I'd hate to. Maybe I'll make my own harness with Molex connectors to at least make reattaching the stock harness possible.

FWIW, I picked up an alpine 9855.

Metra and Scoche don't make a harness for it.

I have the correct harness installedin my 99 LC. No splicing of the factory harness needed. I have my Sony deck hooked up to my factory amp and it works great. @ $5 with $10 shipping.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14104

uzj100 said:
The harness I have on my alpine cda 9825 is really strange. I will take some pics because it is hard to explain. Looking at the back of the alpine, the alpine has a set of jacks on the right. There are cables plugged in there that are wired into the aftermarket harness. The wires on the back left go no where. This seems strange to me. I removed this alpine last night and have it for sale for $50 with the harness. Do you need the harness? I guess I could remove it and sell it to you.

The harness looks like the one in your link.

Let me know.

uzj100

The RCA cables that are plugged into the back of the Alpine are going to the factory amp. The cable that comes off with nothing connected is most likely your sub output or maybe an AUX or CD Changer input.

Last edited:
Now that harness (link) really looks like the harness on the back of my alFINE!

I have that harness in the link from onlinecarstereo.com. Will not fit the 2k LC. :( It (MAD TWH14) shares the same plug with the metra 70-8113.

I'm hoping that I can get the harness that is listed in the link that I've posted. That is the exact plug on the stock radio.

aljordan said:
I have that harness in the link from onlinecarstereo.com. Will not fit the 2k LC. :( It (MAD TWH14) shares the same plug with the metra 70-8113.

I'm hoping that I can get the harness that is listed in the link that I've posted. That is the exact plug on the stock radio.

What factory stereo did you have? Six disc? I thought that they all used basically the same harness except for the nav systems of course. I had a basic single disc unit in my 99 and it plugged directly into my stock wire harness perfectly. :confused:

It must be the model year difference. I too figured they'd all be the same. Sadly, thats not the case.

I've got the 6 disc changer. Here's a pic of the back of it. The plug on the right side is the one that is plugged into the dash harness. Not sure what the one on the left would be for.

http://www.jobe.cc/~aljordan/Stereo/Radio_Plug.JPG

This is just a standard 6 disc changer. No JBL, no Nakamichi, just standard Toyota stuff. I have however *think* i've found one to work. In the link, it doesn't say that it will work with the LC, but I don't see toyota making a different pin location for each vehicle when they share the same plug. Regardless, I've got a toyota repair manual and will be checking out the wires for reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7964103194&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

OH.. should anyone need a harness for their 98 or 99 LC.. get with me as I have a few of them. :)

aljordan said:
It must be the model year difference. I too figured they'd all be the same. Sadly, thats not the case.

I've got the 6 disc changer. Here's a pic of the back of it. The plug on the right side is the one that is plugged into the dash harness. Not sure what the one on the left would be for.

http://www.jobe.cc/~aljordan/Stereo/Radio_Plug.JPG

This is just a standard 6 disc changer. No JBL, no Nakamichi, just standard Toyota stuff. I have however *think* i've found one to work. In the link, it doesn't say that it will work with the LC, but I don't see toyota making a different pin location for each vehicle when they share the same plug. Regardless, I've got a toyota repair manual and will be checking out the wires for reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7964103194&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

Yeah, mine has that same plug on the left, but the right one is different. Good to know that it is different.

That one you found does indeed look like the right one. But, I did see another harness that looks like it could work too. Can't be for sure, but it might be worth checking into. In case the one you are looking at doesn't work.

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/TA03B.html

Most sites list it as a "Toyota 2k & up" while I did see one that described it as for a 2k-2003 Celica. I looked at this link with a picture of the Celica stereo and it looks like the same harness as yours. Not sure what the front of your stereo looks like, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7982065176&category=38640&sspagename=WDVW

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom