Radio thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After not being able to find a radio that fits my dash and not wanting to cut it, I came upon this idea:

A shower radio. The Sony ICF S79W Personal radio has a built in speaker, has AM/FM/weather presets-so changing channels while driving won't end in a crash, and is waterproof. I plan to hang it on the dash and put an inverter in the dash. They run about $45 and although Target says they have them, I think they are a Christmas item and I'll have to wait about a month.

Are you looking for the OEM radio? I have a working AM only factory radio. PM if interested. It was in my '76 FJ55 till I found a rare AM/FM model and swapped that in.

amp under the seat

I put an amp under the seat, ran a wire out to my ipod nano and get music and radio. Take the ipod with me and no one has bothered with the amp. You can get a water proof amp from west marine, if needed. Wasn't hard to setup and works great.

I put an amp under the seat, ran a wire out to my ipod nano and get music and radio. Take the ipod with me and no one has bothered with the amp. You can get a water proof amp from west marine, if needed. Wasn't hard to setup and works great.

Amp under seat is a good idea. Many small cheaper ones available. Just watch your local laws regarding use of mp3 players.

I used a Tuffy console that fits a standard DIN radio

Sorry to troll, but if you do decide to get something from West Marine let me know. I bought something, and returned it after 30-days and they would only give me store credit. I don't have anything to buy there and would like to get rid of it.

Jonny

Retrosound Model 1

Check out the retrosound products. They are totally modular, to the point where you can install the face in a different place from the electronic guts. I went with this for my LV. Made a plastic housing with the same dimensions as my 70s-era Brownie, with the same texture, radii, etc. I haven't installed it yet but they will hang under the dash stacked, beside the AC/heat unit. The first pick is a mockup of what it will look like and the second shows the units laying on the floor of the LV. I think it all looks very period, and the retrosound unit pumps out 50x4W RMS so no amp needed for my application.
radio.JPG
radio2.jpg

Power amp option

...also I did a ton of research on the iPod direct to amp option and I think it is a really good one. For me the trouble is you have to mess with the iPod which I consider akin to texting while driving...or maybe I am just not coordinated. For my 40 I picked up a 70s era EQ at a flea market for 8 bucks that happens to be mustard yellow. Killer find. I am still working out the details but I plan to run the factory AM and my ipod through the EQ then to an amp then the speakers. I will hide the ipod jack in the glove box and use the EQ both as a preamp and a quick way to mess with the volume/balance when bumping down the trail. Just need to work out the best way to control the relative gains.

Last edited:
To the original question, a 40 is so damn loud you couldn't "hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant," yet alone one of those little shower radios. Gaurantee the speakers will blow out in a short amount of time due to having them turned up all the time.

The key is a good amp or radio, peterman above has a good point, the RMS numbers are key, looks like he has a made a good choice. I put a Kenwood cassette deck in my 40 many years ago in an overhead console. Had to really look back then, but found one with 40Watt RMS. It put out good solid sound and was very good to listen to. Most decks then were only 20RMS. This is a rating of the contiunous and realistic watt output of the unit. they will all flash 100 Watt peak output, and that is what it is, peak and unsustained outputs. They will burn up if they put that out all the time.

I'm working on a project currently, that is not done yet, but it is what I'm going to try. I put a soft top on my 40 and lost the overhead shelf I had built. I don't want to cut my dash either. But I found an AM/FM tuner from an 80's Toyota that has the same deminsions as the original AM tuner. Even has the proper knob spacing that the original faceplate from the AM tuner will fit it. Will need some tweaking to the knobs to get it just right, faceplate is a little too thick for the knobs. But it will look stock. Only thing I don't know is if it will sound worth a damn. May not have enough power.

This is one settup I was interested in, but the speakers may be too small. http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-heavy-duty-mini-waterproof-radio-package.html

I built regular speaker boxes, sealed plywood with 6 inch speakers in my 40, that is one reason I had good quality sound. Little plastic speakers are usually tinny sounding.

My Stereo in my 78 FJ40

If you want to put in a deck you should look at a Tuffy console, easy as can be. My stereo in my cruiser is mainly for listening to while I am working on it...that vehicle is so loud its not funny.

Frint Speakers

Anyone ever found a good place to mount front speakers on a FJ-40 ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom