Radio tech, how would they have done it in 85'? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im installing a OEM radio and a period correct tape player into the 60.
The tape player came out of a 60 but I'm confused at how it may have been hooked up to work seamlessly.
I took everything by my local stereo place and they said I would need some kind of unit that would join all the speaker wires and chose to play the sound from the tape player when a cassette was put in.
He brought out a couple options from in the back that were bulky(90's tech) and required physically switching a dial over to pick where the sounds was coming from.
Radio1.JPG
Radio2.JPG
Radio3.JPG
Radio4.JPG

I know nothing about wiring or stereo stuff but would love some pointers from those that may know.

I know that the lower slot in the dash never came with a tape player. I was reserved for an inclinometer/clock on the fancier non USA 60s.
So it'll be up to your stereo installer to figure out a way to run them. Usually a tape player is integrated into the radio as a single unit, so there's only one amplifier wiring to the speakers. If your radio is self contained and the tape player self contained, that's essentially like wiring two radios to the speakers. That's no good.
Since a stand alone tape player was never an option and isn't really period correct, I'd either just install the radio and be done with it, or find a single unit combo radio/cassette player. That's what I had in my cruiser for a long long time. I installed it in 1988, so although it wasn't a Toyota unit, it certainly was period correct.

Hi Jason

I have a 8-Track Player Hook Up Instructions i will post FSM INSTALL Manuel :

Tell Me if what pages chose to help u make any seance ?

its a Magazine thick OEM 8-Track instructions TECH Thing ........

:)

i also have this and it works , i bench tested it years ago when i scored it , the wires look much more like what u have

DSCN0716.JPG
DSCN0717.JPG

DSCN0718.JPG

Oh man Marty McFly, that’s cool.
I haven’t seen that style radio.
It’s going to take me a bit to give up hope of my oem radio and tape player dreams.

Thanks for the input @OSS. I do have an inclinometer as a back up option.

Last edited:
OSS, I believe you are possibly mistaken. My 1984 (late September) BJ60 (Canada) did indeed come new with a factory tape deck in the lower slot, under the am-fm push button radio that the OP has. I pulled them both to put in a combined Sony 25x4 unit in the late '80's and gave them both to a needy cruiser head restoring his 60 some years later. They were a straight 2 speaker (front doors) system, and there was only a simple wired connection between them.

I know that the lower slot in the dash never came with a tape player. I was reserved for an inclinometer/clock on the fancier non USA 60s.

Not so. At least in Canada. This is a factory set-up for my '87 HJ60. The radio has connections for the tape player. If you can find a correct tape player, the connections should be very obvious.

IMG_20180220_180429.jpg

Maybe Canadian radios did? I’m not seeing how the radio would feed into the tape player but like I mentioned earlier, car audio is all new to me.

As i further Read up and now may have a better understanding ( maybe ) , Jason's Tape Player will have the

TOYOTA Factory Radio Speakers FED into it first , then out to OEM speakers

this way when a Tape is inserted the AUX in this case TAPE , shuts off the RADIO FM Or AM SIGNAL and Routes

JOHNNY CASH Out to OEM speakers much Like a Switching Relay ,

Like how The CB40F Works , kinda....................

if im wrong here Please chime in , I want to Learn this Mystery Too 🤔

I messaged the previous owner to see if he can recall the setup but it was years ago that he ran this.

I've just got my original radio mounted in the dash. I put my modern Bluetooth Alpine installed in my locking center console. I am sorry I know that isn't much help. I'd like to follow to see the end results. I know from looking at the wiring on the stereo I have it did not appear to have any sort of "input" for any accessory player.

Page 7 of what @RAGINGMATT posted confirms what @FJ40Jim recalls. The tape player speaker outputs plug into the radio. Then if the tape deck is on the output passes thru the radio head unit and then out to the speakers. This conflicts with the wiring diagram in the original post. It would seem the OP's two pieces of equipment are not meant to work together?

I suppose it would be possible wire the speakers to both units (parallel) then turn the volume down on the radio when running the tape and vice versa. It's not correct but it would work. You could also blow the amp up in one or the other by turning both volumes up at the same time.

Dunno.

Yeah looks like it’s gona be the inclinometer for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom