Radio is draining the battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started to troubleshoot a parasitic draw on the battery. Measuring at the battery the truck was pulling about 420mA with everything off. After pulling fuses and re-measuring it dropped to 68mA when I pulled the radio fuse.

I have a '97 LX450 with the stock radio, subwoofer & CD changer. After doing a search it doesn't sound like the radio circuit should be like this with everything off. Does anyone know if there is anything else on this circuit I should look into?

Last edited:
I unplugged the factory amp for the radio and it still measured 420mA with everything off. Any ideas what is on that circuit other than the radio?

No clue, but here's a bump.

Parasitic draws are a nightmare. Unfortunately it's tons of grunt work to track them down.

For now I will probably just pull the radio fuse. I need to look into the CD changer to see if that might be causing the problem.

One bump here. Anyone know what else other components are on the "radio" fuse circuit in a '97?

Only thing that comes to mind is the 12v socket, but I'm not sure...

On the LX450 the cig. lighter is on a separate fuse from the radio. There is a 20A "radio" fuse. On the earlier 80's the radio was on the cig. lighter fuse I think.

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a factory EWD manual for the '97 LX450.

So I'm thinking that I may have the same problem. I have an aftermarket radio.
Sometimes when listening to the radio for say 10-12 minutes, I'd start the LC and one click then nothing. If I let it sit for say 5 minutes then I'm able to start.

I put in a brand new battery last week and this happened twice yesterday. It could possibly be a starter too...I had the solenoids replaced about 2 months ago. I know what you're going through....very annoying.

So I'm thinking that I may have the same problem. I have an aftermarket radio.
Sometimes when listening to the radio for say 10-12 minutes, I'd start the LC and one click then nothing. If I let it sit for say 5 minutes then I'm able to start.

I put in a brand new battery last week and this happened twice yesterday. It could possibly be a starter too...I had the solenoids replaced about 2 months ago. I know what you're going through....very annoying.

That sounds like the starter contacts and plunger are not making contact. When they are getting wore out , it will act like that.
Some times you can work the key back and forth a lot and it will make contact on some part of the brass contact point.

There are two brass or copper contact posts and a plunger that engage your starter solenoid for the starter.

There should be some write up on mud, on how to replace them.
I have done it and it's pretty easy.

Good luck with it.

Something's definitely up if you can't listen to your stereo for at least an hour and still be able to start your rig.

I've run my big fat aftermarket amp setup for two hours or more before, still has plenty of start juice.

Kind of cobbled together...

Radio fuse '97.jpg
Radio fuse '97.jpg

That sounds like the starter contacts and plunger are not making contact. When they are getting wore out , it will act like that.
Some times you can work the key back and forth a lot and it will make contact on some part of the brass contact point.

There are two brass or copper contact posts and a plunger that engage your starter solenoid for the starter.

There should be some write up on mud, on how to replace them.
I have done it and it's pretty easy.

Good luck with it.

Sorry. Don't mean to hi-jack this thread.

That's exactly how I was able to start it....by working the key back and forth. Sometimes it will just start right up after sitting. Weird like that.

Sounds like I'm getting a "new-to-me" starter. Which would you do?

Get a rebuilt one from say NAPA Autoparts? $140

Have this one totally rebuilt? $80

Or just replace the plungers? $30

I think they also replaced the plungers last time.....didn't last that long though. That's why I'm leaning toward having this one rebuilt or getting a new starter.

Replace the plungers and contacts with OEM (from Cdan or Gotmud), and your starter will last a long time.

The crappy Lexus CD changer ended up being the problem. I unplugged it and the load dropped back down. I should have looked into it a long time ago. I had hoped to rip it all out and replace with a LC console but haven't been able to find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom