Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lots of questions today, work is a little slow. So I have at least one good leak in my radiator. Should I A. just buy a new one. or B. have it repaired, was just quoted about 80-90 bucks. WHat do you guys think. Do you have yours repaired or replaced. This is an original 69' radiator.

repair :D

Repair.

Awesome, thanks. That is what I was hoping you guys would think. Saving $ is always good.

replace, :slap: oh i mean repair :D

i got a pinhole leak in my radiator today too, tried the pepper trick, hasn't lost a drop since. repair is on the table i know, just needed to get home

Pepper trick? I needs to learn this'un. :)

Replace; the stock cooling system is bulletproof for many miles but when it goes it sems to go all at once. New rad, thermo, waterpump, and all hoses. If you go to the trouble of pulling it out once you might as well go all the way. The only conditions on this would be if you had replaced all the other parts prior to this issue.

I have babied many a rad enough to get it to work a while longer. If it is that old and original you shoulkd replace it with all the assorted parts.

My theory is that you replace all parts of the system you are working on. Replace as new. That way you no longer need to worry about that system for many miles.

[quote author=dd113 link=board=1;threadid=8685;start=msg75634#msg75634 date=1071439137]
My theory is that you replace all parts of the system you are working on. Replace as new. That way you no longer need to worry about that system for many miles.
[/quote]
Or your wallet from weighing you down... :D

Yes, some of us might have budget concerns..... :-*

Deal with a reputable guy and you'll know whether you are pounding sand down a rat hole or not. Decent rad guy will boil it out and retest it before giving you a quote. Most cruiser rads were made really well, at least the older ones. And they were mostly ignored and neglected. Antifreeze will always be antifreeze, but the waterpump lubricants and the anticorrosive chems DO wear out nad need to be renewed.
Get a good radiator guy and hell tell you what to do.
Ed Long :)

Thanks all. I am getting it repaired right now. They said they would fix it for 105 bones. If they cant fix it then they wont charge. I am mostly excited beause I cleaned the heater core insidide and out and damn I found about an inch of crap on top of it.

heater core .......... what the hell is that, mean ta tell me ya wanna be warm to

the pepper trick plugs pin hole leaks... at least it has for the 1000 miles it's done already. i get paid next week so it may get repaired then.

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=8685;start=msg75753#msg75753 date=1071464964]
replairce.
[/quote]

You're sure?

Update. They took the radiator apart and tried to make it decent but said it was too far gone. No charge. Oh well so now I need to buy new. In SOR I see they have some aftermarket 3 & 4 core radiators. These good? They have a 3 core after for $225. This reasonable? The 4 core is $300.

I have had very good luck with the CCOT aftm radiators. Around $200 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom