radiator

Discussion in 'SC- Upstate Cruisers' started by CruisinTiger, Jul 19, 2005.

1. CruisinTiger

CruisinTiger

Hey JP or Richard, what did that guy in seneca charge you to fix your radiator? Do you think we could pull it on sunday and get it to him next week for him to fix it while I'm out of town. Also anyone got an extra fan clutch sittin around?

Chuck

2. ClemsonCruiser

ClemsonCruiser SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I didn't have mine done in Senecca, but it cost me I blieve 25 bucks to have mine patched.

3. CruisinTiger

CruisinTiger

where at, did you take it out?

4. ClemsonCruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    yeah I took it out, its a breeze.........I took it to a shop in Augusta. I am sure Rudi will chime in with the name of the shop he took his to in Seneca.

5. CruisinTiger

CruisinTiger

cool ya think they are open on the weekend?, how long do ya think it would take them. If it only took a day we could take it out on friday and get it back the same day.

can ya get a fan clutch from advanced?

6. clemson55

clemson55

Chuck the place i took mine to is if you go to the railroad tracks in seneca and turn left and then its about a mile on the right hand side. Its in a red shed/barn/garage looking building. I forgets the name. They only take cash, old school guy like 75 yrs old told me about when he was in ww2 did it. But its worked good so far. I would think they are open on sat for a while. Price was good think I got 1 patched and 1 cleaned and patched for 45 or 50. Took about 45 min for both probably take 10-15 min for 1.

7. ClemsonCruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    yeah rudi has his done in a few hours........... and as far as advanced check out their website and search for it, I would think they would have one.

8. CruisinTiger

CruisinTiger

hey what time you get out of class on friday JP? Wanna come help me come yank it out and then give me a ride to seneca? I'll buy you a 6 pack of that beer you like.

see this is why we need a chat room in here

9. ClemsonCruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    I will be out at 1pm, I don't think it should be a problem, is this for the 40 or the 60?

10. CruisinTiger

CruisinTiger

The 60, also I looked at a fan clutch on advanced that thing is like 60 bucks, I think I'm gonna just fix the radiator and hope that solves the overheating problem. So hopefully it won't take that long.

And then they want like 180 bucks for it on the web..dang that thing is expensive

11. clemson55

clemson55

Chuck yanking it should take bout 10 min 6 bolts and 2 hoses. It will take you longer to drive to and from seneca then it will for pulling and reinstalling the radiator. Its a quick job man. Did you check ebay for a fan clutch?

JP didnt you get a fan clutch a while back?

12. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    WHere is the leak.

Is it the in the core or around one of the seams?

Usually a leak in a radiator will not cause overheating unless your running low on coolant. It's usually a sign your radiator cap is bad or you have a failure in your cooling system. Dirty or clogged radiator, pump, thermostat and is some cases the fan clutch. I've seen few clutch problems though.

Does it overheat when idling or under speed or both?

13. CruisinTiger

CruisinTiger

Well the leak is around the top, and I just replaced the thermostat a little while ago. Ya know now that you mention I always notice the radiator fluid sitting on the lip of the radiator at the top. And when we were at the BBQ John was lookin at it and squeezed the top hose. I asked him why he did that and he said that is was not full and there was no pressure in the hose. So I wonder if it is boiling over out of the cap and the fluid is sitting in that lip on top of the radiator. Cause I was talkin to another guy who posted the same thing and he replaced his cap...but while I was talkin to him I am assuming my cap is ok. But maybe it isn't. And it only overheats under idle or if I'm going really slow in traffic. And I had my radiator flushed probably about a year ago at the most.

14. clemson55

clemson55

Well most cars run hotter in traffic and when going slow. I would say one thing to try is fire the cruiser up, drive around the block a time or two so it can heat up and get some pressure and then open the hood while its running and see if its leaking. Take a rag and dry off the top of the rad and see if more fluid comes back. If it does then you can try and trace it. Also if you think it might be the pump just grab the hose and squeeze it tight you will feel it pulse from the pump pushing the fluid. Hope some of that helps you get to the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.