Radiator, Waterpump, Blue Fan and Thermostat swap and flush: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Developed a leak on my old Radiator:
Landcruiser070.jpg

Cdan to the rescue - New Radiator, water pump, thermostat, blue fan clutch, hoses:
Landcruiser096.jpg

Dropped the skid plate and stabilizer and started pulling off the old hoses:
Landcruiser100.jpg

Upper hoses had some grainy crud in them:
Landcruiser101.jpg

Landcruiser102.jpg

Managed to remove the front two hidden bolts without removing the headlights. Used a long extension and a small elbow to get them out. I'm sure it's a lot easier if you just remove the headlights but it can be done:
Landcruiser108.jpg

Old radiator out:
Landcruiser114.jpg

Old fan clutch:
Landcruiser115.jpg

Pulled out the water pump:
Landcruiser116.jpg

Pulled out the thermostat next and then went to flushing:
Landcruiser122.jpg

Landcruiser121.jpg

New Thermostat in place. Water pump not on in this pic yet:
Landcruiser125.jpg

Installed brackets on new Radiator:
Landcruiser127.jpg

Blue Fan Clutch in place:
Landcruiser129.jpg

Buttoning everything up:
Landcruiser128.jpg

Last step, 50/50 Toyota red mix:
Landcruiser130.jpg

Gonna wait to the end of summer to do the PHH. Things I learned/relearned while doing this.
1. There are only 4 bolts holding the radiator in.
2. Pull the Fan/shroud out before you try to remove the radiator.
3. Make sure you don't have any tranny cooler lines pinched underneath your new radiator before you bolt it down. :eek:
4. Local Toyota dealers trying to push the Toyota Pink coolant over the red.
5. Patience.

Old fan clutch:
Landcruiser115.jpg

If your not keeping that, I want it! What color is the hub, if black, it's the finest clutch ever to run on an '80, IMHO.:hillbilly:

Did you go with an oem yota rad or after market Kyo? Just wondering because replacing my radiator is on my list of things to do.

Seems like he got it from Cdan so most likely it was a stock one.

Did you go with an oem yota rad or after market Kyo? Just wondering because replacing my radiator is on my list of things to do.

I swapped my radiator out 3 weeks ago and went with the Koyo. With the stock radiator out I compared it to the Koyo and they are IDENTICAL. And the koyo is about $200 cheaper.

If your not keeping that, I want it! What color is the hub, if black, it's the finest clutch ever to run on an '80, IMHO.:hillbilly:

I just replaced my radiator and also swapped out the fan clutch as I had everything apart. I will sell you my use fan clutch (still worked when I pulled it) for $15 and $15 shipping. Sorry it weighs quite a bit. PM me if you are interested. :)

Last edited:

Stock.

As a matter of fact, it is black. Feel free to PM me an offer if you want it. One of the bolts came out when I took it off. I'll send you pics if you're interested. :cheers:

I swapped my radiator out 3 weeks ago and went with the Koyo. With the stock radiator out I compared it to the Koyo and they are IDENTICAL. And the koyo is about $200 cheaper.

The OEM 80 T-RAD toyota rad is made in Japan. The Koyo rad for the 80 is not made in Japan, but China and Indonesia. Yes they may look the same, I just prefer Japanese assembled/made parts.

Pete

I havent purchased the FSM yet and I'm in the middle of swapping the radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc....

Can anyone tell me the torque specs for the thermostat housing, and the torque for the AC idler pulley and pulley that sits beneath the alternator?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom