Radiator suggestion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my fj60 OEM brass radiator is in the good shape, I just rebuild engine etc. Should I go for new aluminum 3 row or stick with OEM brass?

I bought a champion alum about 10 years ago. It went bad after a couple years. I contacted them and got a free replacement. I took extra care to isolate the new one all the way around with rubber. I’ve been running G05 coolant in it and it’s been great for over 7 or 8 years now. FWIW the first one I was running conventional green coolant.. no idea if that was the cause, or if it was galvanic corrosion, or just a faulty unit. I’ll venture to say it was a combination Of the three.

My OEM radiator was repaired multiple times so finally decided to replace

If the radiator you have now is good I'd just run it until its not good. Unless you suspect its not cooling properly or it looks like its about to come apart.

I bought a CSF brass radiator a few years ago. The paint chipped off the end tanks and I think it's leaking just a bit. Not the greatest radiator. I think shipping is the biggest issue given its weight and tight packaging. I'd go aluminum if I was buying again.

I had the same experience. I’m using a Champion now.

Have your OEM radiator rebuilt. Itll last another 30 years

This is great advice, I wish I had done this instead of going aluminum. The lifetime warranty has been good but shipping is expensive and the turn around time is a couple of weeks. Champion is super friendly and as far as customer service goes I have only good things to say.
Just wish I had stayed OEM.

If the tubes on the OE radiator become too thin to repair The whole thing would have to be rebuilt and at that point it would be very costly and you’d end up with a “non-oem” part anyways. Just my 2centz

I repaired a Leak(s) on my OEM Radiator about 15 years ago (fJ62). Another leak developed last year and decided to to purchase New (didn't want to chance another Leak during trips to the desert). Got the CSF 2708 installed with no issues so far.

Just for reference, about a month ago I had the radiator on my 1985 4runner rebuilt including a new upper tank. It ran $150.

I am running a champion as well. Better cooling with aluminum than the factory brass radiators. I am on my second champion. They have lasted for me quite a while.

I am running a CSF 2708 - no complaints. 5 years.

The OEM radiator lasted 14 and the replacement Performance radiator lasted 13 after that, FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom