radiator seem leakage/maybe weld?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey,just replaced water pump which was in need of replacing and now have radiator leak:bang:heres pics.
can it be welded?
if so with what?
photos 09 001.jpg
photos 09 003.jpg
photos 09 002.jpg

That looks a little rusty. Where is it exactly coming from? Is it a hole or just rusty in general? the core part can be soldered. The tops if they rust out are pretty much done and your better off replacing.

it is EXTREMELY tough to weld brass or even aluminum that thin. you are better off soldering it. try some stopleak first but not too much or it might become stopflow.

hey,from what i can see,its the seem that has come apart(where the arrows are in the new pic) and has come apart where it should be together like the place i circled in new pic..
photos 09 003.jpg

Most radiator shops can take the tops off clean it up and then solder it back up.
However the results are not always great. I've just had the rad in the hj60 done and after putting it back in they started to leak again! Not really the shops fault it is 25yrs old and the original rad. But it only cost me $30 so im not too fussed.

I patched mine with jbweld for about a year before replacing it... Not a perm fix, could've went longer before replacing but leaks were popping up all over towards the end.

Take it out. Take it to a radiator shop and have the caps redone. Don't screw around with a temp fix because it won't last and fail at the worst possible moment.

That or buy a new radiator.

Take it out. Take it to a radiator shop and have the caps redone. Don't screw around with a temp fix because it won't last and fail at the worst possible moment.

That or buy a new radiator.

X2. Take it to a good radiator shop and have them pull the tanks off, boil and rod it and then put it back together.

Sid

I too have had good luck with JBweld in a coolant path. You could JBweld it until you save up for a new radiator. Just make sure you drain it enough and dry out the seam before applying.

I think Toyota radiators just do that. I've had my 40 and 55 do that. When it gets bad enough, I go to a good radiator shop. Have it rodded or recored, and they fix that leak for free.

thanks all for your responses:cheers:
depending on price of shop fix,mite braise it...

those seams are a bitch to fix however if you insist the only real way i would attempt it is get a can of mapp gas(just like the propane bottle but its a yellow canister and it burns hotter) and find a 4 foot brass rod with the flux already molded on.............they are white.

good luck.

thanks all for your responses:cheers:
depending on price of shop fix,mite braise it...

That'd be mighty tasty !!

Braised radiator !

:D :hmm:

ok doh k...
that little seperation on me radiator just decided to go growl!!!!
it opened up enough to nearly get my pinky finger in there..
its in the shop right now getting first aid..
i`ll give a pic of it out of surgery 2moro:steer:

just got me rad back,they did a good job and painted it too/ woot:p
hopefully my problems are over....

for the time being:steer:
photos 09 010.jpg
photos 09 006.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom