Radiator Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice video with lots of details.

Thanks

You went through all of that work doing a video and you didn’t even change 25 year old rubber grommets or hoses or anything except a 25 year old radiator… :lol:

Nonetheless, good work. Comparing working on a 4Runner to an LC is funny too.
:cheers:

Well, it wasn't my rig and the guy I helped didnt think of buying the grommets. And, because this was my first time doing the job, I didn't know about the fact you had to reuse grommets. Also, I don't think its silly to compare a 3rd Gen 4runner to a FZJ80 Land Cruiser. I've seen lots of similarities between Toyota models. I do find the Land Cruiser folks on this forum have no shortge of strong opinions though. That makes me LOL. By the way, the upper and lower radiator hoses were replaced.

God damn right.

For some of us this isn’t a game or a hobby or some such passing fancy.

It’s our entire way of life.
Omur, I think you need to relax. You are a bit much and pretty freaking critical of my attempt to help people out. Its clear you think you could do it better so step up and make your own videos to show me how it's done. You're just one dude and I know lots of people appreciate what I have to offer. OK, I'm done with this conversation now.

:lol:

I’m yanking your chain dude. You did a great job setting up cameras and explaining things.

I’m sure many folks will benefits from this informative video.

EAE2129B-D7E8-42C0-A105-1DC3978EC925.jpeg

Here's the video and Enjoy the Show!

@Timmy65 - Great video. I am about to do this job and this likely saved me a bunch of time. It also gave me the idea to check and see if my radiator mounts have been hacked up since the previous owner put in an aftermarket one some time ago.

Was there anything else you wish you had on hand before you started? I never would have thought of the grommets and wonder what else I don't know about. Nothing worse than starting a job and then waiting a week for parts.

@Timmy65 - Great video. I am about to do this job and this likely saved me a bunch of time. It also gave me the idea to check and see if my radiator mounts have been hacked up since the previous owner put in an aftermarket one some time ago.

Was there anything else you wish you had on hand before you started? I never would have thought of the grommets and wonder what else I don't know about. Nothing worse than starting a job and then waiting a week for parts.

Unlike Onur, I'm fairly confident you can reuse all the grommets. Even the fact one of the little straps broke off one of the grommets wasn't enough for me to think it was time to replace it. The rubber was all intact and would be fine to be used on the new radiator. Now, if you get the grommets out and they are ripped and falling apart, of course replace them. The same goes for some of the other related hoses we didn't replace like the the #3 bypass hose and the reservoir overflow hose. If the rubber is still halfway supple and there's no visible cracks or bulging of the hose, go ahead and reuse it. There's plenty of rigs on the road with original heater hoses on them that are 25+ years old and have over 300k miles on them and they're still holding strong. So, you just need to assess the condition of the associated hoses and other parts like the grommets and see if they really need replacing. If you have unlimited funds and you don't care about potentially wasting money, buy all the associated hoses and grommets ahead of time. But, I think that's a waste of money. Replace the things that really need replacing and reuse the parts that are still good.

If this is your only vehicle and you need to finish the job all in one shot and can't have it sitting while waiting on parts, maybe buy everything and then return the parts you don't need. If you can let the rig sit while waiting on parts, I'd just get the radiator and radiator hoses, do the job and maybe replace the grommets and bushings if they are in bad shape. You could get a good look at the condition of the bypass hose and overflow hose ahead of time and buy those too if they are in bad shape and you could also get under the rig and take a good look at the send and return rubber lines that connect to the transmission cooler nipples and maybe buy those in advance if those are looking pretty bad.

So, that's my two and a half cents. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom