1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiator Replacement

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by boydmick, Feb 2, 2004.

1. boydmick

boydmick RIP My Friend

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I flushed and refilled the Cruiser (with the red stuff). 50 miles later, engine starts running hot and red stuff trailing behind the rig.

Tried to refill the radiator, but liquid just runs out of the bottom. :'( Can't tell for sure, but probably the lower seam. Time for replacement - hope the head gasket survives! ???

I've read all the earlier posts and it seems the '93 3 core brass is a good choice. Is the all metal aftermarket even better? - Where can I find one?

What are the odds that the head gasket needs to be replaced as well?

BTW - '97 FZJ, basicly stock

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    How hot did it get? That will be an indication as to potential damage to the head gasket. I prefer the 93-94 3 row radiator (16400-66040). In addition to an additional row it is a hundred bucks cheaper than the 2 row aluminum 95-97 radiator. In my opinion Toyota went to the aluminum radiator to shave some weight when the airbags were added. At the same time the third row center seat belt was eliminated and the seating capacity dropped from 8 to 7. There were also EPA imposed restrictions on some accesories due to the ammount of weight added to the vehicle by the installation of said accesories. They included tow hitches, running boards, roof racks and cargo mats.

D-

3. xl715

xl715

Are you sure the drain petcock on the bottom is sealing all the way? You said you drained it and then had a problem, right? I would check that before just replacing parts, unless you really want to spend money, in that case I need a set of sliders:)

4. boydmick

boydmick RIP My Friend

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks C-Dan, I was hoping you'd reply! :)

Unfortunately I don't know how hot, my girlfriend had it at the time :mad:
    " Uh, honey, the Criuser's not running right and there's some funny lights on the dash!" :whoops:

I think probably pretty hot, no coolant left :doh: At least she stopped as soon as she noticed (who knows when that was!)

Looks like my weekend just became filled!

C_Dan, How much to ship one to So. Cal?

5. boydmick

boydmick RIP My Friend

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=xl715 link=board=2;threadid=10934;start=msg98311#msg98311 date=1075784121]
    Are you sure the drain petc%^k on the bottom is sealing all the way? You said you drained it and then had a problem, right? I would check that before just replacing parts, unless you really want to spend money, in that case I need a set of sliders:)
    [/quote]

Sealed tight! When I tried to refill, the coolant just poured out the lower edge of the radiator in the center. First thing I checked was the drain plug, no leaks there!

6. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

I just purchased a 94 rad, my guess is the last one lasted for ten years and 250K then I will have no worries for quite some time.

We pulled on not long ago and its fairly strait forward job.

I would stay way far away from a reman and I am guessing the rad shops do not handle those units as they are a crimped base and top.

Rob

7. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

There's a place in So. Cal that rebuilds (especially plastic top) radiators. Check out http://www.resedaradiator.com. Folks there are nice & fairly known in the MBZ forums.

Regards,
    Frank.

8. robbie

robbie Guest

Women drivers (flame hat on), I would do a compression check before you go to all the trouble to put a radiator in to find out the head gasket is bad. If it was to the point that it was running rough then I would guess (experence first hand) you have lost the head gasket. If you do the compression check now you will not run the risk of getting coolant into the bores and the bearing.
    The CSF radaitor is not the same quality as the Toyota 93-94. I have seen them not fit right, and the Shroud ears come off. (yes I have installed them by customers request, and seen some a couple of year later), I personally think they are crap. Sorry to hear about this.
    My wife was driving a saab 9000 to AlbQ, nm and heard a sound under the hood and did not stop. She then lost heat inside the car, she keep going to the airport and when she got out she heard all this poping and crackling. She called me and told me "honey I think somethings wrong with the Saab".she had it towed back to santa fe and I put a new head and radiator in it.
    When I lost my head gasket it was traveling at 80 MPH and I did not see the steam going out the back and it started to run rough I shut it down while I was still drivein (not reccomemed), and coasted to the side of the road and repaired My first LHH on the side of the road and got it runnning but the damage was done. I could only drive 25 mph before the compression leaks would over heat the coolant. I did not get any coolant into the oil, but I have had one customer that lost an engine because he drove it with coolant in the oil. Do the compression test. later Robbie

9. boydmick

boydmick RIP My Friend

Media:
    Albums:
    Got my care package from C-Dan! What great service!

New 3 row radiator, hoses, fan clutch and thermostat. Installation was fairly easy considering this is my first project on the Cruiser. While I was in there, I took a little time to clean things up a bit. 83,500 miles and all seems to be fine. Head gasket still seems to be holding (for now).

Thanks again C-Dan! :beer:

10. PDoyle

PDoyle

11. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

I replaced mine with the "three row" (from C-Dan)
    and if I recall, it included the shipping, and it was about $100 bucks cheaper than the "two row" ??? ???

12. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

what does the 3 row radiator look like ?? Not sure if mine is OEM 93 LC..its solid black and shiny...attached to it is a tranny cooler

13. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    [quote author=NovaFZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=10934;start=msg104443#msg104443 date=1076705079]
    what does the 3 row radiator look like ?? Not sure if mine is OEM 93 LC..its solid black and shiny...attached to it is a tranny cooler
    [/quote]

If the tanks are metal it is not OEM.