Radiator Repairs? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1988 FJ62, and the radiator is leaking from the top of the core tank were it is welded/brazed to the fins. Is this repairable, or do I need to acquire a new radiator and replace it?

Thanks for any advice on this issue.

Nelson

If it's not significant, it can be repairable.
Go to auto shop where they can weld.

reparable yes. took mine to a radiator shop where it was disasebled and cleaned. they found 3 leaks.

Drain radiator, and remove it if you need to get access. Get a propane torch and some brazing rod, remove the thin sink fins around the area that needs to be repaired (not the core tube "fins"). And basically braze up the leak. Might want to get a pressure tester. Easy fix, save money, buy the tools with money you saved, learn something new. Sounds like a straight forward fix not needing to plug off a row of tube or anything.

Or just:
1) take it to a shop. ;)
2) acquire new one. ;)

Nelson said:
I have a 1988 FJ62, and the radiator is leaking from the top of the core tank were it is welded/brazed to the fins. Is this repairable, or do I need to acquire a new radiator and replace it?
It is very repairable and very common on the FJ62 for some reason. Re-soldering the top tank should fix it.

Also, just check the price of a new radiator.
Mine cost $360 (here in Australia) and I fitted it myself. I initially expected the cost to be over $500. I kept the old radiator just in case I decided to try the 'top tank' repair myself. The top tank had previously been repaired and lasted about 4 years before it started to leak again.

If its corroded right through in one spot,you can bet its just waiting to bust out somewhere else.

If you got the cash ,get a new one and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom