radiator repair? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
leaky radiator :frown: putting in antifreeze in and the radiator leaks. wheres the cheapest place to get it repaired? would i be better off finding a used one from some one in CO?

Max just find a local radiator shop man. I got mine fixed for like 15 or 20 bucks and it has been fine for a yr since. Plus it will most likely be some old guys who will tell you some good stories.

I don't have a spare rad max. Post something on the RS. We had a thread in the old forum but it's locked down. Several RS memebers have used a rad shop in golden I think... hth

I had my brother in law the plumber fix mine. Both the top and bottom tanks were leaking where they met the core. He fluxed the hell out of it and resoldered the seams. Good as new.

Every FJ40 my family has owned ('74, '78, and '82) has had the factory solder give way on either the upper or lower radiator tank, or both.

Take it to a real radiator shop, have the tanks removed, the tubes rodded, and the tanks resoldered. Comb the fines, new paint job, and you're ready for years of trouble-free service. Have a half-assed job done, and you'll be fixing it every six months until you have it done right.

Every one we've done right has lasted for as long as we've owned the cruiser.

I put a new OEM in my '82 last year, and almost talked myself into having it resoldered right out of the Toyota box. Nah, getting home from a split radiator seam is half the fun!

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom