Radiator- Repair or Replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I noticed a small stream under my 40 a few days back. Looks like a small leak in the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side. I think between the tank and the tubes/fins. The fins on my radiator don't look too bad, and the truck was cooling fine. So a repair could certainly be done, but I have no idea how old this radiator is, and I did run straight well water in it last year for about 3 months. I found a new radiator at radiatorbarn.com for $133. Should I get the thing fixed? Put in some bars leaks and cross my fingers? Or just order a new one? What do you guys think?

I learned the hardway - I tried repairing my first leak, cost me $100 for welding an d labor, then sprung a new one a month later. I ended up buying a new one. If the seals start breaking means you either re-weld the whole thing or go for a new one, and the cost is the same.

I paid 145 for my raidator from the rad dealer, i know go to the rad distributor and buy cheaper than that so for the cost vs trouble its easy to get a new one.

Stew

as cheap as new rads are, just get a new one. try radiatorbarn.com

I agree with Ige, buy a new one.

try AlumaWeld - only like $4 and fixed my radiator right up!! (try cheap things first - it can't hurt!)

Buy a new one! Nothing blows more than going down the freeway and having your rad loose all coolent, cause your engine to overheat, and then blow your headgasket (later 2F's have more trouble with this). I know as I've had to rebuild my head while in the truck beacuse the PO neglicted the Rad. :mad:

Not cool... Oh, and backflush that sucker while while you're at it, it is summer now, need all the cooling power you can get (and you'll be amazed at how much crap comes out)...

Also, on several cruiser radiators I've seen - aluminum at least, the fins start brittling apart; and then just seem to dissentigrate all together shortly after.

I picked up a bottle of stop leak last night. Poured it in , refilled the coolant (about 1/4 gallon) that had leaked out since I last topped it off on sunday. Started it up and let it run for about 45 minutes. It appears to have stopped for now, but i'm going to order a new radiator anyway. Right after I pay my property taxes... Ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom