Radiator Relocation FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phxds.com
Hello. I am in the process of building my 80, when i ran into the problem of radiator and intercooler problems.. I cant put both in the same aera. So I have decided to relocate the radiator to another aera. Out of all the options, It seems that mounting it above the engine would be the best place. It provides me with enough room to mount it and a set of low profile duel fans, to pull the air through and out.. Then im left with cutting the hood open for a scoop or a cowl. I have just started this thread in Copperstate cruisers, but I wanted to get as many opinions, ideas and thoughts as possible before i go ripping through my hood.

I need to relocate the radiator because the Cummins 6bt requires an intercooler. The Cummins is also 3" longer than the toyota I-6 with the fan blade removed. That said.. it doesent leave me with much room to work up front. But it will still allow me to run duel elect. fans on the intercooler since the shroud will not be as deep.

Here is the link with a few pictures. Lemme know what you think.
Thanks.

-Ron

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=107501

Are you set on using a winch bumper? if not you can relocate the intercooler there (behind bumper with cooling slots) and use a pusher electric fan or two. my 2 cents- I like a subtle look when doing swaps its makes people wonder whats lurking under the hood when it shakes the ground and looks clark kentish (he-he-he!) when you have a scoop people expect it do be bad (and a snorkle!)

EDIT BTW what are the intercoolers dimensions? and you do know since your cummins isnt in a full size rig that the cooling can be done by a slightly smaller radiator.

My 6BT in my Dodge truck does not have an intercooler.

How many inches do you need?

Any possibility that some sheet metal work at the firewall would do it for you?

I bet it would be TONS easier and make the truck more serviceable if you were to put the intercooler lengthwise on the passenger side of the truck with a hood scoop feeding it air. Maybe seal that section off from the bay and set up a good draft system. I've seen that done a lot on smaller cars. Or run an air to water intercooler that would go over there and not take up valuable space in front of the radiator. :confused:

I will be using a winch bumper.

I have the 96 intercooled turbo version.. stock comes with a intercooler.. but that will be too small for compound turbos.

I dont think mounting it on the side (passenger side) will work.. but, .. I think the idea of placing the intercooler across the hood is a better idea than the radiator.

Agree with the thought process shift to finding a spot for the intercooler vs moving the radiator. I'd fight to keep my rad in front, then deal with the intercooler. What about the side mount with a few hours of work with pop rivets and tin snips to create a nice shroud for the intercooler with its own electric fan pulling from a fender, etc? You could mock it up with cardboard to get a gross shape, then trim the cardboard more carefully to get close enough to make a tin one.

DougM

Project FJ80 said:
Hello. I am in the process of building my 80, when i ran into the problem of radiator and intercooler problems.. I cant put both in the same aera. So I have decided to relocate the radiator to another aera. Out of all the options, It seems that mounting it above the engine would be the best place. It provides me with enough room to mount it and a set of low profile duel fans, to pull the air through and out.. Then im left with cutting the hood open for a scoop or a cowl. I have just started this thread in Copperstate cruisers, but I wanted to get as many opinions, ideas and thoughts as possible before i go ripping through my hood.

I need to relocate the radiator because the Cummins 6bt requires an intercooler. The Cummins is also 3" longer than the toyota I-6 with the fan blade removed. That said.. it doesent leave me with much room to work up front. But it will still allow me to run duel elect. fans on the intercooler since the shroud will not be as deep.

Here is the link with a few pictures. Lemme know what you think.
Thanks.

-Ron

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=107501

Ron:
Ran into this problem with a long snout LT1 into a quattro a few years ago. We ended up laying 2 radiators at a slight angle (maybe 10 front down to back up), and opening up the quarter panel to push them as far east west as we could Ducted air to the radiators, and puller fans underneath them. Worked great, but 6 gallons of coolant would I guess. Here's a pic of the install before clean up and duct boxes that sat on top of them. They go all the way to the inside of each quarter panel

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/travel_events/M99/MHLT1_2.jpg

The problem with mounting it over the engine is service and airflow. You will have a tough time getting enough air to flow arount that motor IMO, and risk overheat on shutdown. We also found that you have a ton of problems with fill/expansion tank issues because the expansion tank cap has to be the highest point in the water system, or you have all sorts of problems. If you mount it to the hood, I bet the frustration in figuring out the tank problem will be high.

If you have room for rad but not IC or vice versa, I agree that moving the IC around might be a better option. However, I'll offset that with a 'it depends' on the size of the IC. I know some of these diesels use radiator size IC's in which case a couple dual radiators might be your only option

HTH

Scott Justusson
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Last edited:
Use a smaller air/water intercooler on the inner fenderwell. Leave the radiator in the stock position. Use a second AC condensor to pump the water through to cool it down. This has been done many times with great sucess. Look at he Typhoon/Syclone aftermarket intercoolers.

So far, It sounds like I should leave the Radiator in place at all costs, I know i could move it to the roof like the TT (trophy trucks) do.. but i dont want to do that.

If I wasent using twin turbos on the passenger side, It would have been a perfict place to stuff an intercooler in .. but i think it might sit too close to the turbos, took a few picts to show what it wwould look like.

I agree with you about being too close to the motor.. which is why it would have to be part way in to the hood cutout. but again.. lots of heat to try to go around the engine.

The first set of pictures shows what rrom is avi. and the third is where i might beable to fab something inbetween the grill and the a/c.
7.jpg
9.jpg
6.jpg

The second set is with my radiator used as a mock intercooler set up on the side. Only problem with this set up is that the IC would be right over the turbos.
11.jpg
12.jpg
10.jpg

Project FJ80 said:
The second set is with my radiator used as a mock intercooler set up on the side. Only problem with this set up is that the IC would be right over the turbos.

The pics help a bit. If it was me, I'd use the PS to mount the radiator, and use a couple big electrics on the back side, duct air from the PS headlight.

For IC placement, I'd seriously consider picking up or fabbing a TJM bumper, and installing the IC's inside it. I know the 944 turbo IC will fit inside the TJM, BTTT. For your diesel, you'd probably want to use either 2 944turbos in series or a custom vertical core design ala Porsche 911. Basically the core length would be about 6in top to bottom, then really long end tank caps, top facing the turbo (PS) the bottom facing the intake (DS).

You have a lot more room to play than I'm used to at my shop. The only other option I can see is to put in a smaller condenser, but give it better flow and/or it's own fan. I've done a couple setups where the radiator is on top (4 core hd) and the condenser sits below it.

It's only money. For budget, I'd put the radiator on the PS and heat shield the back side from the turbo, put IC in front or behind condenser. Without a restricted budget, you can be creative with sizing of cores and get it all to fit.

I suspect a water to air IC won't do you as much good as a A2A, since you are running a pretty big turbo, which means A2W will cause you to put in another cooler in space you don't seem to have.

Scott J

SUMOTOY said:
We also found that you have a ton of problems with fill/expansion tank issues because the expansion tank cap has to be the highest point in the water system, or you have all sorts of problems.
HTH

Scott Justusson
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

[apologies for the slight hijack]

Scott,
What sort of problems have you seen with the overflow tank cap not being the highest point in the system? Overfilling of the expansion tank leading to overflows? I've relocated my coolant overflow on my 3FE and it is now 4-5" lower than the original mounting location. Just wondering what sort of issues I should be on the look out for :)

I will bet he is talking about a pressurized expansion tank, the stock type puke tank can be mounted lower without issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom