radiator question part numbers: manual vs auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FZJ80 needs a radiator now, sitting last 15 months wasn't good I guess.

anyway, they sent part number of 16400-66030 which I am researching as for manual fzj80. 16400-66040 is for auto. this FZJ is auto. does it make a difference on which one is used and where. don't want it to bite me in the arse later on. or maybe itis a sign to convert to manual. lol

ETA:

toyota part above is a little over 600 dollars

i can get aftermarket made for about 75

Last edited:
Auto usually has a transmission cooler in the radiator.

If I can make a recommendation… stock is good, however a friend of mine has an all aluminum radiator.

Both our cooling systems are in tip top shape i.e. hoses, valves, modified blue fan clutch, thermostat, etc..
In an ambient outside temp of about 80 degrees F:
  • Aluminum 3 row reads 185 F
  • Denso with plastic top and bottom reads 195 F
If I reworked my radiator again, id go aluminum... HTH

Thanks asked them to look into custom aluminum..

also sent Denso part number 221-3128 to see if they could find it.

hoping @Fattyeighty comes back online.. might be able to assist with rad source here in Kuwait City.

Auto usually has a transmission cooler in the radiator.

It's actually not a cooler. It's primarily designed as a transmission HEATER. Engine coolant will heat up much faster than tranny fluid, and will transfer that heat to transmission through the shared radiator housing. This is intended to help transmission get up to operating temperature much faster. Once it's up there, both heat exchangers (the unit inside the radiator and the main, separate transmission cooler) work to keep transmission temp within proper range.

It's actually not a cooler. It's primarily designed as a transmission HEATER. Engine coolant will heat up much faster than tranny fluid, and will transfer that heat to transmission through the shared radiator housing. This is intended to help transmission get up to operating temperature much faster. Once it's up there, both heat exchangers (the unit inside the radiator and the main, separate transmission cooler) work to keep transmission temp within proper range.
So it doesn’t really lose efficiency if I use a copper/brass one on my manual. Just cap off the ends?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom