radiator hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, it seems that everytime i drive my cruiser a hose blows and i start leaking radiator fluid. How much would it cost to buy a whole now set of hoses. And how hard would it be to chang them all?

briguy44 said:
Hey everyone, it seems that everytime i drive my cruiser a hose blows and i start leaking radiator fluid. How much would it cost to buy a whole now set of hoses. And how hard would it be to chang them all?

As you know, there are many, many, hoses. However, they are small, available readily, and not expensive. Check the diagrams and change the ones close to the engine that suffer the most. I just preventitivly changed all the rad and water pump hoses on mine. The lower rad and oil cooler hoses can't be changed easily w/o removing the belts and fan. I wish there was a kit, but I am not aware of any. It took me several hours to change the $4 oil cooler hose on the water pump-not easy.

Last week I did the lower and upper main hoses as well as the one coming from the water pump. Removing the alternator is the easiest way to get to the latter hose. The lower rad hose was reasonably easily reached lying on my back after removing the front protection plate. After removing the alternator a second time to adjust hose clamps for a small leak the new hoses are doing great.

I did ALL my hoses on my 60 when I got it, I think by the time I was done with hoses, clamps, and red Toyota anit freeze I spent $200, but its was money WELL spent.

or just blow some coin, do everything in Aeroquip and don't worry about hoses again for about 40 years.

Fred

What's Aeroquip? Never heard of it.

or buy a hose kit from SOR and call it a day -- replace all of your hose clamps with new while you're there too....

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

cwb said:
What's Aeroquip? Never heard of it.

Aerospace grade hoses.

www.aeroquip.com

Reinforced with Kevlar and all kinds of good stuff like that. You can even get them braided in Stainless steel or kevlar fibers. And unlike the SS braids that people put on their hoses for looks, (The crap you get at Pep Boys in rolls that you slide over the hoses) the SS braids on Aeroquip actually work to prevent stresses on the hoses. You can tell the difference-- the cheap add-on stuff is loose fitting and uses thinner low grade wires in the braid. Aeroquip's braiding is not loose at all as it's an integral part of the hose iteself, and is made of thicker, high quality wire that you can see someone actually polished. Also you can tell the difference since aeroquip hoses use steel or billet aluminum threaded fittings, never the hose clamp type things.

Downside-- Expensive. Up to several bucks an inch for the stuff, and to use it you'll want to convert everything to threaded fittings, which are also pricey.

Upside-- Not worrying about your hoses breaking for a real long time.

I'm doing my whole truck in Aeroquip. It will prolly cost me a couple grand. But, since it's an expedition vehicle, I'll feel better trakking across the sonoran desert in Mexico not worrying about stuff like "did I replace that heater hose last year or not....."

Fred

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom